• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Romeo & Juliet Overture

Share/Bookmark

ADDitional work-sub LUSH Strings

Overture by TCHAIKOVSKY.
    THIS IS THE 1ST 5 PLUS MINUTES OF THE OVERTURE.
    For some reason, after recording, most noise goes away.
    With the tempo at the end of this section, editing individual
    wrong notes becomes a challenge.
    This is what I love about working with Finale. I can listen to individual parts or sections to discover where the mistake is. When I started teaching 42 years ago, I didn't have an "educated" ear, but if I had Finale then,
    I could have learned much quicker. (probably any current program.)
    Gary
    UPDATE: close to finish but...... not yet
    ##(2nd)
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=4935408&q=hi
    2nd entry uses lush strings instead of KS
    (1st)
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=4935408&q=hi

Re: Romeo & Juliet Overture

Gary,

The overall production is very nice. I did not notice anything strange in your playback. Are you using Human Playback to control the dynamics and phrasing marks?

Gary

www.garybricault.com

HI, Gary

I really was admiring how much I heard of your Romeo and Juliet. Unfortunately, my computer never gets along too well with Sound Click--all those pop ups etc--I tend to crash. I use Sound Click for posting sometimes also, but it can be squirelly. Sorry to say.

BUT, it was sounding so good. --I want to say that many of us tend to be our worst critics, and we hear things in our finished work which we wish could be improved on. I think that's good and healthy to a point--Keeps us working hard and from getting lazy.

You have this feedback from GaryBric saying he couldn't hear anything bad in the playback--I also didn't hear anything ugly before Sound Click shut me down.

But I'm wondering what you mean by "uncontrolled roar" on passages like those with a Tympani roll, or long passages with active strings.--?

Are you using Finale or another notation program? GaryBric replies as if he knows that you are.

I use Sonar and am mostly focused on producing recordings of my work. I've never used a notation-only program, but I'm aware there's quite a list of differences between the two kinds of applications.

The only "uncontrolled roar" I can think of is when something like a Tympani roll is causing a build up of reverberation. I've automated the reverb send on a track to go down with a roll to combat a build up. Also, there can be such a thick carpet of low frequencies in moments like that--EQ to the rescue.

Those are audio mix-down techniques, and I'm not sure in the realm of the sort of thing you're doing in Finale.---?

One more question--When you are making the final 2 track out put of your work, are you still working strictly with "virtual tracks"--the MIDI tracks, as opposed to audio bounce-downs of tracks?--That's something else about working in Sonar as I do. When I'm ready to work on the actual mix, I'm dealing strictly with audio tracks bounced from the MIDI and VSTi tracks. Being able to automate the volume envelopes of audio tracks on Top of the volume dynamics already part of the original MIDI data--that gives me a Much larger dynamic range to work with.

Well--I shall try again to hear the rest of Romeo and Juliet. It's a lovely piece and what I heard so far from you was sounding impressive.

rbowser

Rbrowser,
    I'm afraid I don't understand part of your answer.
    I am using Finale'07, but it also occured in'06.
    The sound occurs usually when the full ensemble is playing;
    a certainty if the volume is loud. A build up of reverb sounds
    plausable.
    Gary, I do have human playback selected.
    I will work to finish the piece today.
    Thanks
    Gary Mosse

Gary,

Nice job with this!

Not sure what your problems are vis-a-vis the tympani. But if memory is a problem, or getting all the playback you want, plus reverb, you can always export the files to something like Audacity - it's free, and is very handy for large scores that can't be played back through a notation program or because of reverb issues.

Looking forward to hearing the whole thing!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hello again, Gary--I just got the automated mail notice that you had responded.

My long reply earlier was a bit confusing, I beg your pardon.

Mainly I was wondering if you were using a notation program or audio recording program. Rpearl's suggestion to use Audacity is good, because there is more you can do with your files in a sequencer program like that.

Setting your meters to not peak out during the loudest section of the piece will help with the "uncontrolled roar" problem, plus I do recommend that you pull back the amount of reverb on those big sections. There's so much going on, that a lessening of the reverb won't be noticed by the listener, and the orchestration will sound clearer at the same time.

Wonderful work you're doing.

rbowser

Some very nice work in the rendering on this, Gary.

Side comment on timpani: somewhere in Finale,
    I think there's a "hand damped" expession that is
    often helpful.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi David,
    Thanks for your compliments on this and the Krommer.
    I'm working to finish the ROMEO & JULIET. It just seems to keep going.
    I may have to eventually break it up into 2 parts because of length.
    Y I K E S !!!!
    There are actually 522 measures and I'm about half way through.
    If I had planned ahead, I migh† not have taken this trip....
    Gary

Great work Gary. Sounds perfect to my ears. Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this. It's great to hear the masters through GPO.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse

There are actually 522 measures and I'm about half way through.
    If I had planned ahead, I migh† not have taken this trip....

Gary
    Boy, do I know about that... rofl.

Stay tuned...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast