• Register
  • Help

Topic: Transformer wattage question

Share/Bookmark

Transformer wattage question

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Howdy!

I'm over in the middle east and need to buy a power transformer to change the voltage from 220 to 110 for my laptop, but I can't seem to find any information on which wattage transformer is required. They offer 100, 22, & 300 watt transformers--which should I get?

Thank for any help you can provide!

Wes
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Re: Transformer wattage question

Your laptop should show it's power requirement. Buy a transformer that exceeds whatever that power requirement is.
    juan

Wes,

Are you sure that your laptop can't handle 220V? I've been involved in international standards development for a number of years and have attended countless meetings in Japan (100V) and Europe (220V). We all use laptops, and I've never seen anybody use a transformer. I've never seen anybody's power supply go up in flames either!

The only thing that you should need is a little kit of plug converters. In England they use those giant three prong jobs like you find on an electric dryer. In the rest of Europe they use plugs with two round prongs. I think there are two standard spacings for the prongs though, so bring the whole kit.

Wes,

I agree with Jon...at my work we send folks over to SWA with laptops purchased in the US all the time and never have a problem. Check on the bottom of your laptop (or the manual)...it should state if it is dual-voltage. Other than that, the plug adapters that Jon reccomends should do the trick.

...stay safe!

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

I could plug in my laptop, but have heard some horror stories...I think the voltage is not as stable here and as it runs 220 and my laptop has a max of 240, I don't want to risk anything.

The laptop also says that it's 19 volts, but the transformers are sold in different wattages, not voltages, so I'm not sure what's what.

If need be, I might just get the biggest one and buy a surge protector with it.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Wes,

If you've heard local "horror stories", then I would definitely pay attention to them...a surge will ruin your whole day!

Based on what I've just seen on the web, the laptop should use about 45 watts...a 17"CRT about 80, and a 17"LCD about 35. The idea of using a surge protector sounds good.

Jim
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

You might see about getting a power conditioner or UPS, rather than a step down transformer. The problem is the surges, rather than the 220V.

If a step down transformer is the most easily obtainable, a fairly small one should do. Certainly you won't need more than 100W, and 50W is probably fine.

The transformer will smooth some of the surges, but still might not protect things. If you are nominally running 220V and get a 280V surge, your transformer would make it a nominal 110V and 140V surge, which could be equally as bad when your power supply has autoranged down.

A 2:1 stepdown transformer may help, but for real peace of mind, a power conditioner or UPS would be best.

Best of luck. Stay safe. And that goes for your laptop as well!

Thanks, guys!

I bought a step down transformer rated at 300 watts. I found the formula: volts (110) X Amps (2.4 in my case) = required watts.

Thanks again!

If nothing else, go to their poppy farm - and take away their transformers! Let's see how long their laptops last then!

Ern,

34N/50E is now a smoldering crater...and I can neither confirm nor deny any involvement.

Wes

Go Back to forum