• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: First Project with the Strad: Ave Maria

Share/Bookmark

First Project with the Strad: Ave Maria

Hello Everyone,

I stayed up wayyyy too late last night and had a little fun. Did the final mixdown this evening. This stuff simply rocks.

This is my first effort using the Strad 2.0 Library. Piano is the Steinway from GPO. I still think I could go back and tweak the piano dynamics a bit, but for a first stab, I'm pretty happy with it.

Your comments and feedback are appreciated. Here is Ave Maria for your enjoyment (hopefully) No not THAT Ave Maria... the other one! ok, the OTHER other one.

Ave Maria

Scott
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Re: First Project with the Strad: Ave Maria

It paid off!!!

I particularly loved the pitch bends when reaching for higher notes.
    Further, it seems that the violin is a bit too present in the foreground.
    For the rest.... and I like this Gounod variation ....... marvellous.

Since I have my own Strad (installed last Saturday) I must give it a try also.....

Please, go on writing and mixing during the night.... so that we can enjoy your music overhere (In Europe) in the morning!!!!

Raymond

Well Scott it's a pleasure to say how much I enjoyed this piece on first listening before heading out for work this morning. I haven't really been thinking about getting Strad but you may have changed my mind and frankly that's what this listening room is a about. Inspiration!
    Only one little observation - perhaps dynamic ramping on the long notes in and out. Sorry about the lack of music terminology.

Ray

That was a lovely rendition of this piece. Thank you I enjoyed that a lot.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

A nice choice of music. You rendering is very enjoyable. I wish I could afford the 'strad', but I have spent way to much on music software already.
    Thanks for posting this. -Jay

Scott,

a good choice for a first test piece and quite well sounding.

A word about portamento (no difference here between a real or a virtual instrument): it gets cheesy very easily. Especially if done downwards. Nevertheless a portion of portamento is absolutely necessary. But notice that a downwards portamento has a completely different meaning than an upward portamento.

Another general word about this sort of well-known 'encore pieces': I am performing such pieces regularly for paying audience and have found that I am on the safe side as long as I play them within the borders of my real emotion. Or, to put it the other way, really getting into the emotion that a piece requires. Trembling, sweating, aching, loving, enjoying - as long as it is genuine. No matter how well-known or 'salon-like' something is I always try to be as honest as possible with it in a musical sense. I try to forget that this is a well-known composition and play it as if I would compose it just in this moment. As soon as I differ from that and 'do as it is supposed to be in that style' it is easy to overdo things, it sounds cheesy and 'made' and therefore cannot be genuine and touching any more.

It is not an easy topic.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Nice touch, Mr. Scott. I could hear the bow tenderly and realistically scraping on the strings. Thanks for spending the time to render this very popular piece.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing this - might just have to start saving my pennies...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Scott, you got a tender and expressive tone out of strad, thanks for posting this

Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    It paid off!!!

I particularly loved the pitch bends when reaching for higher notes.
    Further, it seems that the violin is a bit too present in the foreground.
    For the rest.... and I like this Gounod variation ....... marvellous.

Since I have my own Strad (installed last Saturday) I must give it a try also.....

Please, go on writing and mixing during the night.... so that we can enjoy your music overhere (In Europe) in the morning!!!!

Raymond
    Raymond,
    Thanks for the kind words. I was shooting for "nice" but I'll take "marvellous"!

When you say "present in the foreground" are you talking about too high in the mix or a tonal "EQ" type quality of presence?

You're going to have a ton of fun with the Strad when you get going with it.

Scott
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast