• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: p4p800deluxe: a few questions

Share/Bookmark

p4p800deluxe: a few questions

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of this board for running Gigastudio?
    Is its overclocking useful?

Is the 4 gb mem useable?

Also, where would I look on the optimal installation for windows xp for gigasampler on this board?

Or should I just upgrade and to what?

JG

Re: p4p800deluxe: a few questions

Got one myself with a 2.8 ghz p4 and 2 gigs ram and it runs gs3 fine. Never tried oc'ing it.

But my New board is an Intel 975BX with an E6700 Conroe and 4 gigs. Oc'd to 3.15 ghz and error free on the prime95 torcher test with stock cooling. Just haven't had a chance to try gvi on it under Win64 yet so I don't know for sure if it'll load more than the p4p800... but I'm hoping it'll get to at least a full 2 gigs. If you're getting a new mobo, go Conroe. Its fast, cool, and has a future. Someone here must be using one for gs3. The 975BX2 would be my choice if I was buying today... all 8 of its sata ports go to 3 gbps compared to only 4 of 8 on the on the 975BX that I have. I'm using the on-board Intel sata-raid for audio recording and its awsome, btw... would make a mean sample drive.

Howard

I have a P4P800E - Deluxe running a 3.2GHz P4, 2Gb of RAM and GS3 without any problems. I've built a couple of dozen like it for other composers, and it's an excellent platform for Giga!

I agree with Howard though; it makes more sense to go with a newer board, running a Core 2 Duo. That second core is bound to come in useful somewhere! I'm setting up a P5B Deluxe with an E6400 CPU as we speak, and so far it's good for an additional 250 voices over the P4P/ P4's 450.

Oh, and 4Gb of RAM won't be of any use to you if you're running a 32bit OS like Windows XP, and I don't know if there's going to be a 64bit version of Giga for a while yet.

Hi John;

My dedicated GS3 PC uses a P4P800 Deluxe board. I pretty much only buy ASUS Boards. I've had very stable performance with it. Even though its an older board, I think its a rock solid board. I installed windows XP home as a "Standard PC", and did all the required tweaks.

I would advice against overclocking for DAWs. The AGP/PCI locks don't always work very well, and you may have lockup and sudden reboots with overclocking, not to mention sometimes distorted sound if you are using a sound card. In my opinion overclocking is great for gaming but to be avoided for a DAW. Again I would like to hear if people have successfully overcloced their music pc.

Here are the specs:
    P4P800 Deluxe (Bios 1019)
    2.8 Prescott
    2 gigs corsair value ram (4x512)
    4 Hard drives
    480 watt Thermaltake PS
    GS3 orchestra

I also run this board with GS3, and it was rock solid until I had the need for speed ....Do NOT use the promise controller for a raid configuration ..I had a major problem with it .....Other than that , the board works great ...Very dependable ...As others have said, there are much newer/faster setups out there ....Jim

I have 4 hard drives. The WD 10krpm is a master, but it's not number 1 on the list of master drives. I think it's number 2 or three. Should I move it physically to make it the first master?

JG

Hi John:

I use 4 hard drives. This is how mine is set up. So far it has worked well for me.

IDE 1 (80 Gb): Primary OS drive
    IDE 2 (40 Gb): Convolution Reverb (Gigpulse files)
    SATA 1 (350 Gb 7200 rpm): All non piano samples
    SATA 2 (74 Gb 10,000 rpm): Piano samples only
    (I also have a removable drive caddy, I can use for more samples or back ups. When I do that, this becomes my 5th drive)

I used the fastest drive for piano samples since it required the highest polyphony. All other samples such as strings etc are on the second SATA drive. Both the SATA drives are connected to the VIA controller, and not the promise. When I built the pc, I read online many people recommending not to use the promise controller.

I am not sure if there is much of an advantage on using a faster drive for the primary os drive. You may want to consider using the fastest drive for streaming samples.

Hope this helps
    Dd

Hello

I have an asus p4p800 (not the deluxe version)

I bought it two years ago, and if I were going to buy a computer today I would go with a newer mobo, as suggested above.

It is good for overclocking though, my p4 2.8ghz is running @ 3.37ghz
    with a zalman heatpipe/fan, not the heatpipe that came with the cpu.

I`ve only used it in the overclocked mode for about a week, I have to check how stabile it is, and double check weather it affects sound quality

The p800 is my second daw motherboard from asus, and I`ve been satisfied with both.

Here's a link to the program that's most commononly used to qualify an overclocked mobo: http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm

I find that if you're over the edge, the blended torture test will err out before an hour goes by. But run overnight to be sure.

Howard

Here's a link to the program that's most commononly used to qualify an overclocked mobo: http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm

I find that if you're over the edge, the blended torture test will err out before an hour goes by. But run overnight to be sure.

Howard

isn`t this a program that has to do with mathematic calculations over the net

or have I overlooked something

Go Back to forum