• Register
  • Help

Topic: TASCAM/Giga at NAMM?

Share/Bookmark

TASCAM/Giga at NAMM?

So, was anyone at NAMM and did TASCAM/Giga have anything new to show? Or even hint at?
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Re: TASCAM/Giga at NAMM?

Quote Originally Posted by williemyers
    So, was anyone at NAMM and did TASCAM/Giga have anything new to show? Or even hint at?
    Saw mention on another board that they were showing off the gigaviolin, which is apparently due out soon, and the guy who mentioned it said it was pretty good. In the post-strad world, that must mean something (and the reviewer is something of a keener.)

Wish I had more to share. Anyone else?

Belbin

I heard that they are still working on the Mac version of GVI, but it wasn't ready for show time. The key point is that it's still on the roadmap, and they're actively working on it. I have no idea about the projected date though, and I don't think that they've announced any date yet.

Also, Sonivox Muse is currently shipping as a GVI player product. One can guess that other GVI players will ship in the future, but I have no info about who, what or when. Tim of Westgate fame asked about the interest in a GVI version a while back here on NSS, but I have no idea what decision he might have made.

Also, note that the latest GVI player passes the test regime on 64-bits, so it should be Vista-ready. How cool is that?

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

Also, note that the latest GVI player passes the test regime on 64-bits, so it should be Vista-ready. How cool is that?
    Jon:

Do you mean it's RUNNING at 64 bits?? i.e. Will is able to take advantage of the RAM thing, given all other components/drivers/ etc are 64 bit?

Me want.

Belbin

From the release notes...

New Feature in 3.53

Windows XP 64

GVI has been tested on Windows XP 64 systems and found to be compatible.

I'm not sure, but I don't think it has been compiled as a 64-bit app. Could be wrong though...

It's not running as a 64 bit app yet. That would be a huge deal, not a small blurb in a minor version release notes. They're saying it can run as 32 bit on a 64 bit OS, just like most of the other 32 bit apps. Nice, but nothing to get excited about yet.

Jay

It's actually *dang* nice. That means that you can buy a new computer next month that includes Vista and know that GVI will run on it. Once the 64-bit version comes out (I don't know that it will. Nothing is announced, and I haven't heard anything), you're ready to go...

Go Back to forum