• Register
  • Help

Topic: At my wit's end here.. need advice on audio interface

Share/Bookmark

At my wit's end here.. need advice on audio interface

I've got an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card. It's been giving me problems for quite a while now, blue screens o' death while I'm working. The cause is delta.sys (their driver), IRQ conflict.

Now, of course, the company says to switch slots. That doesn't help. What they don't get is, modern motherboards make HEAVY use of IRQ sharing. With a lot of new m/b's only have two or three PCI slots, these are often shared with other onboard devices, or sometimes the PCI-express slots. This is a PCI STANDARD spec. Yet some companies don't program their drivers to handle IRQ sharing, so naturally these blue screens happen.

My motherboard is an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. It's a great board, so I'm not going to ditch it just because one card is giving me problems. But I'm not really sure what to do. My only other plan is to reformat my PC and set it up as a "Standard PC" rather than an "ACPI PC." Doing so grants you control over the IRQs, so you can find a free IRQ and set a device to use that instead. In ACPI mode which is the default, you have no control over IRQ settings.

If anyone has any other bright ideas, I'd be glad to hear it. Funny how this crap tends to happen when you're the busiest.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: At my wit's end here.. need advice on audio interface

What is it sharing with?
    Have you turned off all unused hardware in the BIOS?
    Example: LPT ports, Serial Ports etc. Possibly SATA if you're not using it.
    That might possibly juggle the order a bit.
    Can you choose to force IRQ selection in the bios?

Possibly rolling back to an previous driver version?
    510027 is what I'm using and it works fine.

Smile Re: At my wit's end here.. need advice on audio interface

Have you tried the ASIO4all free universal driver? Some report that it will solve problems that are caused by manufacturers poorly written drivers. Don't have the web address-just google it! Worth a try.........

Roger W. Barnes

Re: At my wit's end here.. need advice on audio interface

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    I've got an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card. It's been giving me problems for quite a while now, blue screens o' death while I'm working. The cause is delta.sys (their driver), IRQ conflict.

Now, of course, the company says to switch slots. That doesn't help. What they don't get is, modern motherboards make HEAVY use of IRQ sharing. With a lot of new m/b's only have two or three PCI slots, these are often shared with other onboard devices, or sometimes the PCI-express slots. This is a PCI STANDARD spec. Yet some companies don't program their drivers to handle IRQ sharing, so naturally these blue screens happen.

My motherboard is an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. It's a great board, so I'm not going to ditch it just because one card is giving me problems. But I'm not really sure what to do. My only other plan is to reformat my PC and set it up as a "Standard PC" rather than an "ACPI PC." Doing so grants you control over the IRQs, so you can find a free IRQ and set a device to use that instead. In ACPI mode which is the default, you have no control over IRQ settings.

If anyone has any other bright ideas, I'd be glad to hear it. Funny how this crap tends to happen when you're the busiest.
    did it every work right. if so, what all has been changed. Never had a bit of trouble with mine, and that is about the only component for which I can say that. The first thing that comes to mind, if it every did work right, is a corruption in windows. fixing that might be outside of this forum and is beyong me. I always just reinstall windows, and that is a pain. I am currently trying to find a way to backup a hardrive entirely, including boot partition, so that a good windows and total daw can be easily reinstalled without windows disk install and driver installs all over again.

Have you tweaked windows at all, such as some sights recommend turing off services, etc. This can be dangerous, especially if you add something later. In my case made internet completely unistallable.

Go Back to forum