• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bernie's Tune (JABB)

Share/Bookmark

Bernie's Tune (JABB)

Well, I'm experimenting with more Jazz arranging:

http://www.gregjazz.com/upload/berniestune.mp3

Yes, I know it's short, but I'm taking an intersession class. Basically imagine a semester's worth of material crammed into 15 days. Pretty tough. But I had a window of time between class and a gig, so I wanted to work on more arranging.

Re: Bernie's Tune (JABB)

Greg,

Very nice writing and arranging of this peppy piece, short as it is. Hope to hear more of it in the future.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

That's two for two today, Greg.

I like the risks you take with color and texture;
    they work!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks!

I like this arrangement better than my Thelonious one, because I have better coverage of range (use of the midrange which was lacking in the previous arrangement).

Any ideas for texture or whatnot are GREATLY appreciated. I'm still learning and always eager to learn, after all.

nice work, Greg. A flawless arrangement...as for the rendering, if it was me, I would refine the phrasing in the mute trumpet. I'd try to make it sound more "dap dowa-dap dowa" instead of "ta ta ta-ta ta ta" unless the staccato is a wanted effect... I believe that a deep understanding of accent placing, slurs, pitch, ghost notes and so on is essential to produce expressive phrasing. I have noticed that in the midi world even 1/127th can make a difference in the result. I apologize if I'm telling you things that you already know, but sometimes having someone repeat them can help. And the reverb sounds as if it's mono, while a wider subtle reverberation would give a more open sound picture. My opinion, of course

best

Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob

...make it sound more "dap dowa-dap dowa" instead of "ta ta ta-ta ta ta"...
    I gotta learn to speak Jazz... lol.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hey,
    Well, that was different. Great job. Sounds very professional to me and well arranged ... maybe a little more re-verb though ...
    Will you have more soon?

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    nice work, Greg. A flawless arrangement...as for the rendering, if it was me, I would refine the phrasing in the mute trumpet. I'd try to make it sound more "dap dowa-dap dowa" instead of "ta ta ta-ta ta ta" unless the staccato is a wanted effect... I believe that a deep understanding of accent placing, slurs, pitch, ghost notes and so on is essential to produce expressive phrasing. I have noticed that in the midi world even 1/127th can make a difference in the result. I apologize if I'm telling you things that you already know, but sometimes having someone repeat them can help. And the reverb sounds as if it's mono, while a wider subtle reverberation would give a more open sound picture. My opinion, of course

best

Roberto
    Thanks! Yeah, phrasing is really important. I hadn't messed around with any of the volume control (mod wheel in JABB) in the lines, and that'd give everything a lot more expression.

In the future I'll keep phrasing in mind a lot more. Staccato/legato in lines as well as volume envelopes. Jazz keyboardists don't get as much exposure to phrasing as much as horn players do.

I learned that when I send a session player some sheet music to record a horn part, and he sent me back so many possibilities of phrasing the lines that I hadn't even thought about.

Go Back to forum