• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Celtic Harp soundfont

Share/Bookmark

Free Celtic Harp soundfont

Last fall I recorded a folk harp that I had built, and turned it into
    a (large) soundfont with 5 velocity layers. This was my first attempt at
    such a thing, and am wondering what people may think of it.
    Here is a link to an mp3 created from the soundfont:
    You need to click on it, then select the paper-looking icon.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jason_...os.MP3&.src=bc

The main sf2 is 45 megs compressed, and you can get it from:
    http://www.esnips.com/doc/a81543ce-2...inalgothicharp

Free (semi-donation-ware) for non-commercial use. If used commercially, please contact me at the below
    email. If you enjoy using it, feel free to email me about what you are doing with it
    (though without attaching mp3s - you can send me a link to them instead).
    I originally pondered selling it, so that I could make money to buy some of Garritan's products.
    So if you enjoy it, you can consider making a donation to me, which I may apply to
    a purchase of GPO advanced, and/or the solo string instruments. Contact me at the below email address, and I will tell you how to donate.

Re: Celtic Harp soundfont

yujade,
    It has consistantly musical tone. I believe that I cannot tell the extent of your velocity mapping from the example song, which seems (and I'm no expert) in the mezzopiano to mezzoforte realm most of the time. Check out http://www.sf2midi.com/index.php?page=sdet&id=8222 (which just happens to be a harp, although certainly not of the same type) for some interesting ways of altering the soundfont's playback of the original sounds to simulate alternate playing styles that can be setup as presets.
    I'm sure that many of us would like to hear more songs played with your celtic harp soundfont ; and, would probably love to have a copy!--but it sounds like it may be too large to share, even if you wanted to.
    Cheers,
    Chris

I get a 'server can't be found' message in both IE and Firefox.

I, also, would like to hear it.

Sorry about that connection issue - it worked last night. I'll see
    if I can fix it, or give a different link.

I have a bit of trouble playing the different velocities with my keyboard, but
    they are fairly subtle. You can tell the loudest from the softest, certainly,
    but the other three levels are at least variation from each other....

I would like to share it, maybe post it on a soundfont web site. There are various versions of it, the largest being 256 megs. But I could always edit out
    some layers to make it smaller.

Jason

Thank you for your replies. I have edited the link in the first post.

If anybody has any (non-copyrighted by other people) midis that they would like to hear with the soundfont,
    feel free to send me the midi, and I can render it into an mp3 (a limited number of midis, though )

Jason

Thanks Jason. That's pretty nice.

I wouldn't edit it as 256Mb is tiny compared with most samples around.

Cheers

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by yujade
    I have a bit of trouble playing the different velocities with my keyboard, but
    they are fairly subtle. You can tell the loudest from the softest, certainly,
    but the other three levels are at least variation from each other....
    [...]
    The idea of sampling the most beautiful velocities (loud enough to hear, but soft enough to remain pure) of an instrument has been notably used recently by Westgate Studios in their modular series.
    Quote Originally Posted by yujade
    I would like to share it, maybe post it on a soundfont web site. There are various versions of it, the largest being 256 megs. But I could always edit out some layers to make it smaller.[...]
    That is very kind of you. If it is 256MB uncompressed, I think SFPack could get it down to at most half that size to make the download smaller and then we could extract the full file from the archive, once we have it. Even if it is that size, compressed, many of us would still primarily be interested in the largest size, as Frank said above.
    [Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by steff3
    uwahhh, no sfpack :-( [or is there a MacTool to un-sfpack?]
    I'm sorry, I got carried away dreaming of my free celtic harp and forgot about those of us using MACs; no there isn't as far as I know. My revised choice would be RAR (rather than sfArk, which has some bugs in its compression process that sometimes prevent total decompression of large files)--I am sure that runs on both Win & Mac.]
    Cheers,
    Chris

uwahhh, no sfpack :-( [or is there a MacTool to un-sfpack?]

Edited the first post with instructions to download one of the harp soundfonts.

Go Back to forum