• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Synful at NAMM?

Share/Bookmark

Synful at NAMM?

Just wondered if anyone has seen anything from Synful at this year's NAMM.
    They mention on their website that Synful will be there, but I've heard nothing thus far.

I think their first prospective date for the new, improved version was about this time last year. That's one hell of a delay, and I'd expect at least something from them to whet my appetite!

Any news?

Re: Synful at NAMM?

(I thought the date went from August 2006 to January 2007.) I too would like to hear some of E. L.'s progress with Synful Orchestra. I'll E-mail him about this thread.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Still no news? There's no update on the website...

I'll keep my fingers crossed - there's still just under 2 days left, but it would be nice to be kept informed of progress having shelled out the cash in the first place.

And with the divisi strings, Garritan's new stuff and EastWest all bringing out exciting new music software, all we've done is talk about how pretty everything looks. Surely, with this being a 'music' convention, the most important things are:
    'How does it sound'?
    and 'how does one achieve that sound'?

Hopefully we'll all be spoilt for choice.

Heard from elsewhere that Eric is alive and kicking at NAMM, demoing the new version. Nothing on release date I heard...but the reporter had listened to AI the same day and thought Synful was better!

Just going through the reports on VI at the mo.
    I really don't get AI. Surely the biggest thing to be addressed in terms of bringing samples closer to a real performance is in fluid, organically evolving performances - ie legato sampling amongst other things.
    And for $20,000, for a product needing 3 or more computers - it's still just single-note-samples?

Quote Originally Posted by cleartrueblue
    Heard from elsewhere that Eric is alive and kicking at NAMM, demoing the new version. Nothing on release date I heard...but the reporter had listened to AI the same day and thought Synful was better!
    I imagine E. L. is quite busy at NAMM and will make time for us afterward.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cmdratz
    I imagine E. L. is quite busy at NAMM and will make time for us afterward.
    That's possible. Sometimes, I don't think he's the most marketing-oriented person! And I guess that goes for a lot of developer/owners....

I'm really really curious to hear the new version. To my ears, it still has the most convincing legato effects. If he can fix some of the weird sound quality (and reduce or eliminate the delay) that would put him in a different league.

I had a chance to visit Eric at the Synful booth on Thursday. It was my first stop, in fact.

This is by no means intended to be the official Synful news but what I understood from our conversation is that things are progressing, though not as quickly as any of us would like, of course. The additional articulations/playing modes and the new instruments have been recorded. In the course of integrating the new recordings, Eric discovered that improvements could be made to the basic engine that would allow more expression and better use of the new recordings. Rather than going forward with releasing the new recordings and then improving the software and having to repeat all of his work for the new and improved software, he decided to upgrade the software first.

He did have a demo of the new french horn, which sounded really good. It was a very dynamic and expressive performance, ranging from the round, mellow timbre to the all-out brassy sound. The in-between notes were realistic, something that's nearly impossible to achieve with sample-based instruments, even with multiple velocities and articulations loaded. What was even more amazing is that when I asked what CCs were being used, his reply was that the demo was performed using only velocity. I got the impression that some of the new instruments will also require fewer CCs while still giving the player plenty of expressive control. He is also looking at a couple of options that would eliminate the delay element of the software.

Eric had no specific release date but indicated in the next three or four months we should see some of the new stuff. Like many of you, I invested in Synful after hearing it at NAMM last year and I'm not sorry I did. It has been a useful layer to my other libraries and is certainly the easiest with which to play expressive lines. Synful is a small operation and after checking out the other player in the neighborhood, AI (which appears to be quite well funded and staffed), I dare say I agree with the above impression that Synful sounds better. But that's a whole other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wilx
    Just going through the reports on VI at the mo.
    I really don't get AI. Surely the biggest thing to be addressed in terms of bringing samples closer to a real performance is in fluid, organically evolving performances - ie legato sampling amongst other things.
    And for $20,000, for a product needing 3 or more computers - it's still just single-note-samples?
    I emailed audio impressions a while ago about the issue of legato...they told me their method is to use modelling/synthesis instead of actually recording the transition samples. I think this is how synful does it as well. They exaplained to me that it would be impossible to be able to make use of the whole DVZ idea of playing polyphonic lines on your keyboard while also making use of legato samples. If you are playing multiple lines on your keyboard, the computer would have no way of knowing which legato sample to trigger. So they opted to use their synthesis techniques. I was told that the results are quite excellent...but I have not heard them for myself yet. I suppose we're all really anxious to hear how it actually sounds. For $20,000, however, I would certainly hope to be blown away.

Cheers,
    -art

Quote Originally Posted by bjean
    I had a chance to visit Eric at the Synful booth on Thursday. It was my first stop, in fact.

This is by no means intended to be the official Synful news but what I understood from our conversation is that things are progressing, though not as quickly as any of us would like, of course. The additional articulations/playing modes and the new instruments have been recorded. In the course of integrating the new recordings, Eric discovered that improvements could be made to the basic engine that would allow more expression and better use of the new recordings. Rather than going forward with releasing the new recordings and then improving the software and having to repeat all of his work for the new and improved software, he decided to upgrade the software first.

He did have a demo of the new french horn, which sounded really good. It was a very dynamic and expressive performance, ranging from the round, mellow timbre to the all-out brassy sound. The in-between notes were realistic, something that's nearly impossible to achieve with sample-based instruments, even with multiple velocities and articulations loaded. What was even more amazing is that when I asked what CCs were being used, his reply was that the demo was performed using only velocity. I got the impression that some of the new instruments will also require fewer CCs while still giving the player plenty of expressive control. He is also looking at a couple of options that would eliminate the delay element of the software.

Eric had no specific release date but indicated in the next three or four months we should see some of the new stuff. Like many of you, I invested in Synful after hearing it at NAMM last year and I'm not sorry I did. It has been a useful layer to my other libraries and is certainly the easiest with which to play expressive lines. Synful is a small operation and after checking out the other player in the neighborhood, AI (which appears to be quite well funded and staffed), I dare say I agree with the above impression that Synful sounds better. But that's a whole other thread.
    Thanks for the report.

It's all good to hear - sound like things are progressing well.
    I'm not too bothered if I have to wait another couple of months before anything gets updated with Synful.
    However, I think it would help immensely if they were a bit more proactive with communication - maybe explaining roughly where they were up to and possibly including some examples.

Assuming the French horn is done, or getting there, it would be nice to hear a demo. I'm impressed with the flexibility and approach that Synful uses, so an improvement on what I already have is a very encouraging thought.

Cheers once more for the report.

Go Back to forum