• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Upright Bass and Jazz Snare Brushes?

Share/Bookmark

Upright Bass and Jazz Snare Brushes?

Since Trilogy is not Intel, and the last brushes I used was when I had a Giga machine (Purfect Brushes), I'm really at a loss when doing light jazz work.

What is the latest and greatest out there for upright bass and jazz brushes (with swirls), that would be Kontakt 2 Mac Intel compatible?

Thanks
    Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Re: Upright Bass and Jazz Snare Brushes?

I have utterly fallen in love with an UB from Manytone, made by the user, known here as GRegJazz...

link is here:

http://www.manytone.com/

And it costs, next to nothing... The site has a couple of demos, and I've used it as well... it's really easy to use.

Only issue is that I don't think that it's K2 compatible. But I'm using it with a different sampler, and I translated the info with CDXtract, so depends... I'm sure that if you contatc Greg himself from here, he will be able to provide different versions probably.

On snares, I have no ideas, sorry

Thanks, Nikolas!

For Jazz brushes, I've been really happy with NS Kit 7: £55 for 5 DVDs--not a bad deal at all.

Not to mention you can play the drums with sticks, mallets, brushes... even your hands. You have a lot of different drum options to choose from, too. Anyway, I highly reccomend it.

EDIT: We have a VSampler version of the upright bass out, and I do know that we plan to have a Kontakt version in the future, too.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    I'm not familiar with the formats mentioned on that page...

(How) could the bass sets described on that page be used on a Cubase/Giga setup?

-------------------------

I love Larry Seyer's Acoustic Upright Bass.

LS has also got a massive brush library in the works. No idea when it's coming out but, if it is as huge, detailed and flexible as his "Acoustic Drums" library (I believe the brushes were recorded as part of the same sessions that yielded the drum lib), it will likely be the end-all and be-all of brush libs...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Check out the Garritan Jazz and Big Band library. It has a full brush drum kit. It has brush stirs that work at any tempo. There is a demo that shows just the brush drum kit on the garritan.com website.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    I have utterly fallen in love with an UB from Manytone, made by the user, known here as GRegJazz...

link is here:

http://www.manytone.com/

And it costs, next to nothing...
    I'm Through With Love, so I submit a milder vote for Manytone. Until (or unless) the Kontakt version comes along, you can use another available one in K2, which plays many formats. Conversion seems to go well. There's a Soundfont that can be played in a vast number of samplers or an Audigy card.

It's a smallish sample with good character. It will snap a little and growl a bit, and I'm finding it nice for genteel jazz trio. Much less idiosyncratic and identifiable than Sayers bass. Manytone has a lot of extra bassisms and articulations, similar to Sayers -- these can make it sound reasonably realistic and original in a MIDI track. Price is so low that it's hard to go far wrong even if you don't really use it much.

The Bardstown Audio Bass sounds promising too, more expensive. I haven't got around to getting it, but I hope to, one of these days.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    Since Trilogy is not Intel...
    Tom, note the new short-term workaround we've posted that allows you to continue using Trilogy (and Atmosphere) on your Intel Mac:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/news/Wo...Intel-Mac.html

Hope that's helpful! :-)

Just a heads up. Jim Roseberry (Purrfect Drums, Purrfect Bushes etc.) is having a group buy for $20.00 (!) for his amazing IR's, and, since the response was so great, he is throwing in free Purrfect Brushes (or Purrfect Cymbals), which he says he is in the process of converting to Kontakt format. (If the sample library is compatible with Kontakt, will that make it Kontakt 2 Intel compatible? I don't know).

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Tom, note the new short-term workaround we've posted that allows you to continue using Trilogy (and Atmosphere) on your Intel Mac:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/news/Wo...Intel-Mac.html

Hope that's helpful! :-)
    Eric, does this mean I could use Trilogy, etc, on my SECOND Mac intel Mini (I run PT from my main Mac Pro), which is running Plogue Biddle as a VST host? I could just install your stuff on that computer and it would run OK?

PS...Eric, please, when you redo Trilogy, would you consider adding the Chapman Stick program, or one like it, that you did way back when for Roland??? PLEASE?

Thanks
    Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    Eric, does this mean I could use Trilogy, etc, on my SECOND Mac intel Mini (I run PT from my main Mac Pro), which is running Plogue Biddle as a VST host? I could just install your stuff on that computer and it would run OK?
    Sure!

The workaround description explains how to do it on a single computer, but using a second computer is very simple to do. :-)

PS...Eric, please, when you redo Trilogy, would you consider adding the Chapman Stick program, or one like it, that you did way back when for Roland??? PLEASE?
    Your request has been logged....you'll see... ;-)

Go Back to forum