• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mahler's 9th first movement...in 4 parts

Share/Bookmark

Mahler's 9th first movement...in 4 parts

As promised, I've finally finished the 1st movement of Mahler's 9th symphony,one of his greatest work. Streaming.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=638943
    This time it is almost distortion free ...but still takes four parts as the entire movement is more than 20 mins long. Next project.... finale from Mahler's 5th...?

Re: Mahler's 9th first movement...in 4 parts

I tried to open the link and I get an error message about not being able to accept cookies from the site. This makes no sense to me.

What to do next after you fix the link? I would suggest Mahler's 8th Symphony. That is my favorite!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

strange... the link works for me, sorry this is my first time using that site.
    as for the 8th, i doubt if i can do it... the orchestra required is huge and i have to think something about the choir parts...

kanazo, that was really nice. There was some skipping in the hifi version, but apart from that, I congratulate you on your attention to detail with dynamics!

Dan

A synthetic rendition could never do justice to the sublime richness and depth that is the music of Mahler, but you've done as nice a job coming close as may be possible in our current age.

Until we have control over brass note attacks they will always sound wrong to me. As a player I can make the sound of a passage change character in any number of directions just by adjusting how I attack or tongue each note. As good as GPO sounds, I have come to the conclusion that the attacks are almost always wrong and that is why it bothers me so much. Timbre of the brass doesn't match reality at time either for various volume changes, but mostly I think it is the attacks.

And we still need a true "stopped" horn if we want to really do Mahler - or many other things, too.

Welcome, Kanazo, and congratulations on an enormous
    undertaking with this magnificent Mahler symphony.
    What a project!

I have listened to all four of the segments with a great
    deal of pleasure. Very well rendered, and the interpretation
    of this difficult movement is excellent. (Mahler is amongst
    the most demanding of composers in execution.) It ranks
    in my mind among the greatest symphonic works, one which
    I know by heart, and I'm deeply pleased to hear someone
    tackle it so ably and well.

Bravo!

Wherever he is, Mahler is smiling down on you.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Kanazo, your superb rendition of mahler 9 (1st Movement) has inspired me to join thias forum just so I can congratulate you. It is wonderful. I'd be fascinated to know your set-up and also whether the movement is downloadable...(he says...). Any thoughts about trying the last movement of the 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by kanazo
    strange... the link works for me, sorry this is my first time using that site.
    as for the 8th, i doubt if i can do it... the orchestra required is huge and i have to think something about the choir parts...
    Kanazo,

Ahhhh much better now with the new link. Your rendering is excellent, a monumental undertaking. You have really captured the spirite of the work and well applied the GPO to it.

As for the 8th it was sort of a small joke. It certainly could be done from the standpoint of the orchestra. But the choir is another matter! Although again I say it is my favorite Mahler work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

thanks all for the comments...yes, it is hard to create a mahler's symphony without real stopped horns. i used ag patches for better attacks on principal brass instruments. for the 8th, i can probably do the instrumental part for anyone that is interested in singing the choral part..

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast