• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first creation with EWQLSC - opinions sought!

Share/Bookmark

Talking My first creation with EWQLSC - opinions sought!

Hi all

Finally, after much deliberation, I bought EWQLSC, and as this is my first attempt at creating a mockup with it I would very much appreciate any advice, and or opinions. This is not a flawless version and I am sure I could iron out some bumps, but for a first try I reckon it's not bad. What do you guys think? My biggest concern is that with better speakers there is what seems to be a 'shaking' effect in the voices - not vibrato, more the sound you get when you don't loop something very well. Is this something I have done or is it a part of the library sound?
    The piece is something I wrote for my own (real) choir for a Christmas service - a setting of the words "Dixit Maria". It lasts about 3 minutes.
    Any thoughts would be valued!

The MP3 (and score) is here: http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=88925

You need to click where it says 'listen to MP3' for it to play.

Cheers

Lloyd

Re: My first creation with EWQLSC - opinions sought!

What a great way to demo a piece that has not yet been sung by live performers! Did you do this within Sibelius or did you export the midi file into a sequencer? Just curious. Great job.

James III
    James G. Eakin III, DMA
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    www.jameseakin.com

Although this sounds like a synthetic choir due to the choppiness of the singing, this is by far the best example I have heard using EWQLSC in a more realistic piece.

I now realize that one must be a choir director or in a choir to understand how to properly layer the (EWQLSC) people such that it sounds like a real choir singing it.

Since I am not involved with choirs in any way, I am stuck with ahhhs and oohhhs and sung words, but not with any realism.

Very nice work!!!

Mike

Very Realistic song... but it sounds very "phased" something wiht the eq...in some moments; it sounds better at the end..when the tone is down.

D.M
    "God is Love"

Quote Originally Posted by JamesIII
    What a great way to demo a piece that has not yet been sung by live performers! Did you do this within Sibelius or did you export the midi file into a sequencer? Just curious. Great job.

James III

Initially I wrote the piece in Sibelius, then exported it as a midi file into sonar. Thanks for the kind words everyone!

given the goal of EWQL's choir product, this has got to be one of the most unsatisfying products to have come out in a while. I hear what you are talking about regarding the weird looping vibrato. There is some phasing going on as well, dunno if that's an artifact of the mp3 encoding. The way they mix consonants and vowels is not at all flowing or natural. Your very realistic arrangement probably highlights these problems.

That said, it's really evident you are a real choir arranger. I hate it when people with real skills make better use of software products than the rest of us! This piece is very well done. The live version will be quite stunning. I might like to hear some more unusual harmonies as this sounds very traditional in its harmonic complexity. But that's just my taste. Great job!

A great effort Lloyd, especially considering it is free standing; without any backing orchestra. It would be extraordinary with a little more tweaking.
    Why is it that a choir often gives me goose bumps?

Frank

-------------
    "Dog is Vole"

Go Back to forum