• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: duet for french horn

Share/Bookmark

duet for french horn

This is a duet for GPO french horns. It is fairly short and kind of simple in form. I was curious to see how the GPO f.h. would work out. I panned each horn to the left and to the right respectively. Please give it a listen and tell me what you think. The name of the tune is the queens guard.
    Thanks -Jay

http://www.katejesse.com/guard.mp3

Re: duet for french horn

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    This is a duet for GPO french horns. It is fairly short and kind of simple in form. I was curious to see how the GPO f.h. would work out. I panned each horn to the left and to the right respectively. Please give it a listen and tell me what you think. The name of the tune is the queens guard.
    Thanks -Jay

http://www.katejesse.com/guard.mp3
    It works very well and sounds good. You might even lengthen it and add an additional theme.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks for listening Larry. I appreciate your comments.
    -Jay

Jay,

Nice sound you have there. You can see how good the horns are to work with. And the same is true whether in a larger ensemble or orchestral setting.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Jay,
    Really enjoyed the early classical sound styling. A great title too; I could see this expanded into a march maybe. Would go wonderful with percussion. I liked the fact that each horn did not out shine the other even though they were in to different ranges. And was that a V7 in there? Great use of quick dissonance.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi Jay,

Lovely. Great writing here for horns.

Personally, I would keeep it the length it is - otherwise you may lose the "....that was great; I'll play it again....." factor.

(Worked for me - I'm on my fourth listen right now...)

Just an idea - maybe repeat the last four bars with a slightly different (final) ending...... to give a more definite concusion???

Anyway, really good, really light and enjoyable. Well done
    Jon

Gary, Michael, Jon, thanks for listening and your nice comments. I appreciate the feedback. Gary - I really like the sound of the GPO horns. I think my next project will be a wind quintet (flute, oboe, clarinet, french horn and bassoon). They will give me some practice for writing a bigger piece.
    Michael - I am not sure there is enought material there to expand on it, but I will definately consider that. If your mean a V7/V, yes that was in there.
    Jon - I appreciate you giving it more than 1 listen. I will look at the ending and see if I can come up with something more conclusive.
    Thanks all, -Jay

Really nice writing for horn in this, Jay; very
    well done.

I might suggest a slightly brisker tempo,
    perhaps...?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Nice work!

My only suggestion is from a sound point of view - would be to give the horns a bigger space, (a bit more reverb-convolution if you have it)

On my computer there is a fair bit of background noise as well. Don't know where this is coming from.

Congrats!

David and Delcarry, thanks for listening and your suggestions. I will try out a brisker tempo and see what it sounds like. Delcarry, I was just using the garritan ambience on this, so there are limits to what I can do with it as far as reverb goes. As far as the background noise goes, I played it on my computer and did not here any noise. I don't know what that could be.
    Thanks -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast