• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Putting my current NI products on the shelf

Share/Bookmark

Putting my current NI products on the shelf

I deactivated my NI products because it looked like my iMac G5 was going to require a new logic board from what I read on the Apple support forums. It turned out to be a bad power supply and stick of memory. So I can't use GPO, JABB, Stradivari or Art Vista's VGP with my current iMac. I have other orchestral libraries and I plan on buying the Garritan Steinway so I think I'll just wait until I am ready for a new Mac and not be forced into it.

I think a user should be able to deactivate the software and reactivate it as needed. The Apple tech couldn't believe it. I'm sure there is a reason for it but it's a mystery to me.

Phil

Re: Putting my current NI products on the shelf

Well, Phil, I have to agree with you. Did you drop a note to there tech people and state the situation? If so, NI has some customer relations to mend here.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

From what I've heard, the folks at NI can manually fix it if you speak to the right person, Phil.

I have a laptop with NI stuff in the shop right now and am not sure what exactly they're doing to it. I left the authorizations alive in case they don't replace anything and just decide to only wipe my hard drive, but I can completely understand why you'd deactivate.

I don't quite understand the "You can never reauthorize....ever" philosophy either, and would be grateful if anyone would care to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    I don't quite understand the "You can never reauthorize....ever" philosophy either, and would be grateful if anyone would care to explain.
    Ditto. It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Ditto. It's ridiculous.
    I think there was a glitch in it anyhow during the switch to the new service center. I had two registered copies of Kontakt 2.1. When I upgraded one to 2.2, the new service center showed only one copy of kontakt. I think I'd have been able to put K2.2 on a third (clean) machine if I wanted to so long as I kept the first machine's at 2.1 if I were the license-violating type of guy.

But the laptop with 2.1 is in the shop, and the drive is guaranteed to come back with only Windows (and all of the crap I spent a month getting rid of ) so no more scheming for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    I deactivated my NI products because it looked like my iMac G5 was going to require a new logic board from what I read on the Apple support forums. It turned out to be a bad power supply and stick of memory. So I can't use GPO, JABB, Stradivari or Art Vista's VGP with my current iMac. I have other orchestral libraries and I plan on buying the Garritan Steinway so I think I'll just wait until I am ready for a new Mac and not be forced into it.

I think a user should be able to deactivate the software and reactivate it as needed. The Apple tech couldn't believe it. I'm sure there is a reason for it but it's a mystery to me.

Phil
    Phil,

You should be able to deactivate and reactivate as needed via NI's online Service Center. I have done it many times. Please call NI and ask again (maybe you contacted the wrong person). If you have any difficulties contact me after NAMM and I will contact NI your behalf.

Gary Garritan

Thanks much Gary.

I'm just going by what it says on the Manage Authorizations/Registrations page at NI.

" Please note that you cannot reactivate a hardware profile once it has been deactivated. "

I didn't see any place for deactivating in with new Service Center software, just activating newly purchased or updated products. I'll recheck when I get my iMac back and make a call on it if needed before I unleash the wrath of Garritan upon them.

Phil

I was getting that same message. I moved to a hard drive that has Vista Beta on it and it produced a different hardware profile that was only three numbers different than it was on XP, but in the middle of activation an auto update from Microsoft made the hardware profile go back to the same as it was on XP, the profile i had just deactivated. Now i have this quagmire and was also wondering the purpose for this policy.

I hope NI will consider making the licence available for three computers rather than two because i think a lot of people now have three, particularly people that are into music and music production, where in the old days it was usually just two, a laptop and a home pc or mac.

This is off topic, but since someone ( me ) mentioned Vista:

I'm guessing really that it was the auto update, another possibility is this is a 64 bit, and in Vista64 some installs see a 32 bit software install as a possible incompatibility and shows a message with an option to reinstall under recomended settings. I think i chose that option and could be why a different profile was produced.

I think this is like modular with two sides, a 32 bit side and a 64, but with latest update installs usually go flawlessly and i'm finding most things work without problems. Happy to report Finale works great without any alternative install and you can ignore the message because it was properly placed into the "Program Files (x86)" folder which is the 32 bit side.

I pretty much wrecked my first install of Vista, because on a whim I changed the name of the Administator after some things were installed. This caused a problem with confused permissions, because owner of half of the installed software no longer existed. No Mac style repair permissions button and I'm not at all familiar with a windows terminal or command line, so it gave me a great bug to report to MS helping to justify a mostly illiterate like me having a Beta.

On a new install and updated Vista, I have just reinstalled Finale, up and running well, and getting ready to install GPO, so i'll soon know if hardware profile is the changed one or back to the one which i unfortunately, unwittingly, deactivated.

Can't report how Vista performs as a DAW yet since i haven't been running a DAW, but Realtek's HD audio drivers for Vista, which are also Beta, are working very well and sound beautiful in Finale or for playing mp3's and CD's.

David

Just give NI a call. They have done it for me too. Just call them and explain what happened. The only situation I have found obnoxious is that if you go through their tools or website and deactivate a particular machine, you can't reactivate that same machine again. Once in the past I decided to reinstall XP on my machine, so I mistakenly deactivated my authorization. I was not able to reactivate it again. I called them on the phone and they fixed it for me. They did not give me any hassle at all....just needed to call them is all.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Surely it's not true. I have re-installed NI software many times including a few weeks before Christmas where I put a new motherboard with dual core chip in. I have a file on another drive with the serial and autherization numbers, and log-in data for the www.native-instruments.de website.
    user name , password etc.
    and thanks for the kind words about one of my offerings

Ray

Go Back to forum