• Register
  • Help

Topic: TIP: Using Logic environment for "quick access" to EXS instruments

Share/Bookmark

TIP: Using Logic environment for "quick access" to EXS instruments

Hello everyone,

This is a tip I discovered while using kai's VSL articulation tool. For more information on this tool, visit http://www.elvenmusic.com/vsl/vsl.html (this site also has some great resources for audio mixing in Logic)

I dont know if you're aware of this, but each audio object has an "off" option found in the environment parameters box under "channel." (can also be accessed in the arrange page) Whats great about this feature is that it will remember what was previously loaded, for example a trumpet EXS patch, but when you turn it "off" it will not load that instrument into RAM and/or use ANY CPU.

I use this function as a type of "pre-load" for my most used instruments/articulations. After loading these patches in my autoload, I turn each instrument channel to "off" and write the instrument/articulation name and channel as the object name. Thus if I ever need my "solo violin legato" patch, I simply open the appropriate channel (number 11 in my autoload) and BAM, Logic automatically loads EXS and the solo violin legato patch! No more waisted time searching through your instruments to load EXS and then search through the endless list of samples just to get to your most used articulations. They all can be preloaded!

Plus, whenever you have to "freeze" tracks due to lack of resources, you can simply switch the channels to "off" after your freeze the tracks, allowing for more instruments to be loaded. Best of all, if you ever need to edit the part, simply turn the channel back on and the instrument will auto-load right back up.

I use this in conjunction with channel splitters & midi instruments to have the ability to use multiple EXS instances for one midi track in Logic. Thus I can have my Solo Violin track "preloaded" with sus, pizz, stac, marcato, legato, etc, and switch between each articulation in real time using midi CC messages WITHOUT using key switches which muddle up the score. If you need more info on how to set this up, visit the link above and scan the articulation tool manual.

I hope you find this tip useful. After spending some time setting it up for my autoload, my productivity has GREATLY increased and I frankly dont know how I got along without it. I hope it also has the same positive effect for my friends here at northernsounds.

All the best,
    Jon
    Last edited by JT3_Jon; 01-15-2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo in title

Re: TIP: Using Logic environment for "quick access" to EXS instruments

Hey Jon, thanks for the tip. I never new putting the channel on 'Off' unloaded all of the samples out of ram. This is a huge RAM saver for me. I think I'm going to go put a few more instruments in my autoload template now
    Tim

Jon,

Excellent tip!!

I consider myself pretty well equipped when it comes to Logic knowledge, but I was completely unaware of this one! I mean, I knew "Off" was there, but I didn't know how cool it could be in practical usage.

And for the others just learning this like I did, it works with all your AI's, not just the EXS. I tested it with a multi loaded into EWQL Platinum, a solo violin loaded into Vienna's VI, an Atmosphere patch, and a patch in Zebra 2.

The song loaded quickly, and after turning "Off" back to the desired instrument number, the patches loaded.

This is VERY useful... Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    Jon,

Excellent tip!!

I consider myself pretty well equipped when it comes to Logic knowledge, but I was completely unaware of this one! I mean, I knew "Off" was there, but I didn't know how cool it could be in practical usage.

And for the others just learning this like I did, it works with all your AI's, not just the EXS. I tested it with a multi loaded into EWQL Platinum, a solo violin loaded into Vienna's VI, an Atmosphere patch, and a patch in Zebra 2.

The song loaded quickly, and after turning "Off" back to the desired instrument number, the patches loaded.

This is VERY useful... Thank you!!
    I'm glad you enjoyed the tip. I was very happy when I discovered its usefulness as well! I should have specified that this works for ANY "audio instrument" including 3rd party libs. In fact, I use it all the time for Kontakt 2 (even though it lets you save/load multis, the "off/on" method is still one click instead of two

It seems like everytime I come here I learn something new, so I'm glad to finally be "giving back" to this wonderful community and its users!

Thanks for this tip!

I'm curious if there's any easier way to turn the instrument back "on" than what I see available. It seems as if you need to select the "channel" parameter, then navigate a popup menu and several submenus to get back to the one Audio Instrument that corresponds to your given audio object. Is there a faster way to reactivate the dormant object?

Hi Jon

Great Tip! This seems to be a very exciting and informative site.

My best

Jacob Moth
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Hello everyone,

This is a tip I discovered while using kai's VSL articulation tool. For more information on this tool, visit http://www.elvenmusic.com/vsl/vsl.html (this site also has some great resources for audio mixing in Logic)

I dont know if you're aware of this, but each audio object has an "off" option found in the environment parameters box under "channel." (can also be accessed in the arrange page) Whats great about this feature is that it will remember what was previously loaded, for example a trumpet EXS patch, but when you turn it "off" it will not load that instrument into RAM and/or use ANY CPU.

I use this function as a type of "pre-load" for my most used instruments/articulations. After loading these patches in my autoload, I turn each instrument channel to "off" and write the instrument/articulation name and channel as the object name. Thus if I ever need my "solo violin legato" patch, I simply open the appropriate channel (number 11 in my autoload) and BAM, Logic automatically loads EXS and the solo violin legato patch! No more waisted time searching through your instruments to load EXS and then search through the endless list of samples just to get to your most used articulations. They all can be preloaded!

Plus, whenever you have to "freeze" tracks due to lack of resources, you can simply switch the channels to "off" after your freeze the tracks, allowing for more instruments to be loaded. Best of all, if you ever need to edit the part, simply turn the channel back on and the instrument will auto-load right back up.

I use this in conjunction with channel splitters & midi instruments to have the ability to use multiple EXS instances for one midi track in Logic. Thus I can have my Solo Violin track "preloaded" with sus, pizz, stac, marcato, legato, etc, and switch between each articulation in real time using midi CC messages WITHOUT using key switches which muddle up the score. If you need more info on how to set this up, visit the link above and scan the articulation tool manual.

I hope you find this tip useful. After spending some time setting it up for my autoload, my productivity has GREATLY increased and I frankly dont know how I got along without it. I hope it also has the same positive effect for my friends here at northernsounds.

All the best,
    Jon

Go Back to forum