• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 +/- GVI on new C2D DAW ?

Share/Bookmark

GS3 +/- GVI on new C2D DAW ?

hi

I have recently upgraded my primary DAW to a C2D system (E6600, Asus P5B Delux Wi-Fi, 2 GB ram, 2 x WD 320GB SATA-2, etc.)

I would ideally like to get rid of my 2nd "Giga" PC (P4 Northwood 2.4, 1GB ram) and run GigaStudio 3 alongside sequencers, VSTi's etc on same DAW.

I read all over the place of people having nightmares trying to run it all on the same DAW (not resources related but GS3 causing BSODs etc.).

Does anyone have GS3 + other DAW apps running successfully on single machine like this ?

How does it behave as Rewire slave ?

Would it be worth investing $75 in GVI and using this instead ?

If this was the case, would I have a need for GS3 anymore (sample editing, Gigapulse etc.) ?

thanks

swayzak
    1. E8400 C2D, Asus P5K-E Wifi, , 4GB Corsair 8500 ram, rme MF, sw1000, plugstation, XP SP3, many hosts & plugins

2. E6600 C2D, Asus P5B Delux, 2 GB Corsair 5700, Audiophile 2496, XP SP3, Emu APS, many hosts & plugins

Re: GS3 +/- GVI on new C2D DAW ?

A lot of big questions, here...

Quote Originally Posted by swayzak
    Does anyone have GS3 + other DAW apps running successfully on single machine like this ?
    Yes. Lots do. Giga really wants its own machine, and you will likely maximize stability and performace if you give it its own machine... but it can work -- just fine for some -- on a machine with lots of other stuff on it. Just don't be surprised if you have to spend extra time troubleshooting hardware/driver conflicts and such if you force it to play with others...

You can also set up a multiple-bootable-partition system... booting into one partition drops you in to a setup with your firewall, antivirus software, printer/network drivers, and every app you can think of... booting into the other partition drops you into a scaled down, music-optimized clean Windows install, on which you have only installed Giga, your DAW/sequencer program, and other musical necessities.

How does it behave as Rewire slave ?
    I have no (obvious) problems using it with Cubase SX3.

Would it be worth investing $75 in GVI and using this instead ?
    I would suggest buying GVI anyway, just to have both at your disposal.

With GVI, you'll be able to load more instruments into memory at once, but you will not have the GigaPulsePro that comes as part of GS3. You will then want to buy GigaPulseVST (or some other convolution reverb) if you want to get the best, most realistic sound out of the samples you will be spending your hard-earned cash on...

If this was the case, would I have a need for GS3 anymore (sample editing, Gigapulse etc.) ?
    GS3 has GigaPulse Pro. GS3 has the Dynamic Effects Filter. GS3 has the editor (which I believe gives more complex editing power than that which comes with GVI... someone else can confirm). GS3 will play .gsp files. There are other things, too, with which others will hopefully chime in...

You can see some cool tuutorial videos for GS3 and GVI at learngigastudio.com

Good luck!!
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Re: GS3 +/- GVI on new C2D DAW ?

Thanks.

Your point about multiboot partitions is a good one.

I use BootItNG for this (for "internet", "games", "music" etc. OS installations + backup images on my old DAW).

I think for the new DAW I will duplicate my "music" partition once everything is installed & then install GS3 to this to test it's stability with the other apps.

Would you advise installing GS3 at the end like this - or installing it first before the rest of the DAW apps ?

For $75, gvi does seeml like a bit of a no-brainer...

swayzak
    1. E8400 C2D, Asus P5K-E Wifi, , 4GB Corsair 8500 ram, rme MF, sw1000, plugstation, XP SP3, many hosts & plugins

2. E6600 C2D, Asus P5B Delux, 2 GB Corsair 5700, Audiophile 2496, XP SP3, Emu APS, many hosts & plugins

Go Back to forum