• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Introducing Myself - Charlie K

Share/Bookmark

Introducing Myself - Charlie K

Hi All:

I wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Charlie Kreitzberg. I'm 59 and live in the Princeton NJ area. My day job is running a usability company -- we design user friendly interfaces for software products. Music is an important part of my life but not my profession.

I started playing piano at 3 years of age and French Horn later. Although I was classically-trained, I shifted to improvisation and popular music. My taste is ecclectic and ranges from classical, early music, blues, rags, broadway and rock. Actually there isn't a lot of music I don't like.

I became interested in MIDI in the 1980's and ran a sequencer on my Apple II computer. Through the years, I acquired more MIDI gear and kept upgrading my Cakewalk for DOS and now have Sonar 6.

I stopped working on MIDI about eight years ago. I think that it was a combination of frustration with the hassle of maintaining the technology and the lack of expressiveness and playability of the synths I owned.

I decided a couple of months ago to get back into composing. I decided to go with a complete virtual studio and not attempt to use the synthsizers I still own.

I've set up a DAW with Sonar 6, GPO, JABB, Strad (all through the recent group buy) and Dimension Pro. I'm figuring out how to get it to work together (not an easy task, I'm finding). Once I have a stable environment, I plan to replace this "interim" DAW with a high end box. I'm thinking of purchasing Komplete + Kore.

For me, time is most critical factor. Not only is my day job extremely demanding but I spend many hours in front of a computer. For this reason, I have little interest in messing around with the technology. I want the computer part to be easy and stable and I want a lot of presets so I can make music in the little time I have available.

I'm very impressed with the quality of this group and of the music that many of you have created. I appreciate the opportunity to interact with you and look forward to joining your discussions.

Best,

Charlie

Re: Introducing Myself - Charlie K

Well, Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the forum, and since I'm in Australia, welcome from down under as we tend to say, to you guys up there in the northern hemisphere. You're right - this is a great forum in many aspects. Heaps of people here that are helpful and ready to give info that may be needed. I'm pretty sure you'll make some good contacts here, and friends also.

best,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve martin
    I'm pretty sure you'll make some good contacts here, and friends also.
    Thanks Steve. One of the most difficult elements of not being in the music industry is not having others to network with. As a result there are a lot of ideas, techniques and products that I don't encounter.

Charlie

Welcome Charlie!

I hope you enjoy your time with all the good folks here.

Dan

Welcome sir.

NS is a great place for advice, friends and information. I've listened to many a person when about to make a large scale purchase, or just some friendly banter or chat.

I hope you find NS as great as I do.

Mike

Pleased to meet you Charlie,

This is the place to feel like you are not alone. Hope to hear some of your music in the near future.

best
    tony

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the forum! I think you are going to find this a very helpful and worthwhile place.

It's great you went back into composing and we are looking forward to hearing your music. Now is a good time to make music with all of these great tools at your disposal.

You mentioned you design user interfaces and I think you are going to like the GUI we will show at the NAMM show.

The quality and talent of this group is unparalleled. Time is a valuable commodity for many of us and we are honored to have you spend it here.

All the best,

Gary Garritan

Thank you all for your kind words; I am looking forward to interacting with you.

Gary - I am very interested in seeing the UI you came up with and will look forward to seeing the screens when they are available.

As I mentioned, playability of virtual intstruments is extremely important to me. I have been impressed with the playability of the strad and the fact that as a keyboard player, I have been able to (occasionally) produce sounds that seemed really expressive and violin-like.

I have spent some time looking at control surfaces (my ancient and beloved Yamaha PF85 does not have aftertouch or even mod and pitch wheels -- I use an old MSC2 controller for those). So as I get serious about virtual instruments I will need a way to supplement the keyboard. It seems to me that the focus of the control surfaces I have seen online is more targeted at mixing than virtual instument control. (For example, these products seem to have lots of sliders that can act as faders, knobs that may be useful for panning and effects but are harder to reach in real time).

As a usability designer, I am interested in figuring out how to control multiple parameters while playing without having to be a contortionist. As I look at the equipment available, it seems as i the current designs are only a modest fit to the needs of the VI player.

I think that some of the current tools could be made more useful. For example, the mod wheels I've seen go only up and down. Yet my mouse scroll wheel can also go left and right and click. I wish my mod wheel had that capability so I could control volume (expression?) with it while pushing sideways to control vibrato (or another parameter).

Breath controllers seems like a natural idea but don't seem to be in widespread use. The only keyboard that supports them seems to be the CME series.

I recall that in playing an organ I had a lever I could move with my thigh to control volume. That would seem to be a reasonable continuous controller.

As virtual instruments become more widespread, perhaps manufacturers will consider building contol mechanisms that are comfortable for players to user and that can help create a highly expressive environment. Seems to me that would be a lot more fun than haivng to go over a track multiple times and "pencil in" controllers.

The biggest usability issue I have run into is the keyboard. On my furniture, the PC keyboard is in a pull out tray under they keyboard. When I pull it out I need to push back my chair which makes it hard to reach the MIDI controller keyboard (admitedly a diet would help me get closer).

What do you all think? Am I missing something that is out there? Have you come up with innovative solutions for MIDI control?

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the forum! It has a huge amount of talent bowsing these pages and there always seems to be something of interest.

I am in the UK, but will always help on a question if it is within my own Knowledge.

So make yourself at home and I look forward to hearing your music.

Regards

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Wellcome!!

from Spain....

D.M