• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: JABB tenors

Share/Bookmark

JABB tenors

"Steel" is a respectful dedication to Donald Fagen and Walter Becker. The unison tenor saxophones is a sound I always associate to their music. Here I have used all four Jabb tenors. The harmonies also tend to reflect their musical conception...

ciao

Roberto

http://www.robertosoggetti.com/mp3%20download/Steel.mp3

Re: JABB tenors

You're knocking us dead with every shot lately,
    Roberto.

Wow!

The sound you're getting out of these saxes is just
    superb... as is the whole production. I've heard
    commercial albums that would blanch at your skill.
    There are nuances in this (like the hesitant quality
    of some of the exposed high notes) I can't even
    begin to guess how you're doing.

I've listened through this several times now, my
    friend... great piece, and great production work!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wow, and Wow again Roberto. !!!

Steely Dan were probably my Favourite ever pop group, and Donald Fagen is one of my Favourite Keyboard Players.

I have huge respect for Becker and Fagen as writers because they successfully integrated Jazz with Pop, without diluting the Jazz, or becoming overly self-indulgent with the Pop.

Your piece very successfully captures some of the Dan vibe while being true to itself. It still sounds like a Soggetti original.

I never wanted that Tenor solo to end.

Your rendering skills seem to improve with every attempt. Your Tenor high notes are pure delight, vulnerable and wavering.

I am currently working on a small Jazz group version of "Black Cow" for my wife's album, and I have been using Jabb to put the horn lines together. The Jabb is excellent at this kind of material.

Bravo my friend.

regards Joe

ps. My only suggestion would be to widen the panning on the drums, at the moment they sound as though they are in the same position as for your recent Hefti piece. For this type of material the kick and snare might benefit from being panned dead centre.

How delightful! I am knocked out by your fine writing and rendering.

Thanks for posting this wonderful file.

I agree with Joe that your drums would perhaps swing much better if they occupied more space, perhaps even in dead center. That way, they would "boot" both the left and right channels. In a live situation that's where the drums would most likely be located.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Roberto,

Outstanding as usual. You've become quite the JABB master.

When I first saw this thread title, I envisioned Pavarotti, Carrerea and Domingo all playing jazz sax.

Jeff

Roberto--One word--Wow. Totally first class. I wouldn't have expected more if I'd been playing a new best selling Jazz CD. Loud applause and Bravos!

Randy
    rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    When I first saw this thread title, I envisioned Pavarotti, Carrerea and Domingo all playing jazz sax.

Jeff
    That's hilarious, Jeff, and paints a great mental picture!

L.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Roberto...

Again you have touched upon one of my favorite groups! Perhaps we are related since our likes are so similar

Your next project MUST be: LEE KONITZ and WARNE MARSH with Lennie Tristano. Do you know them??

BRAVO!

Jim

EDIT: Roberto, I just went to your web site...what do I see? LEE KONITZ and LENNIE TRISTANO!!!

I hope someday we can meet and play our favorite music together!!!
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Roberto!

Once again, an extremely fine use of JABB! Great feel. You definitely have that "nod" to Steely Dan, and yet, it is your original piece. Very enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Roberto...

Again you have touched upon one of my favorite groups! Perhaps we are related since our likes are so similar

Your next project MUST be: LEE KONITZ and WARNE MARSH with Lennie Tristano. Do you know them??

BRAVO!

Jim
    Snorlax,

I studied with Warne Marsh - thanks for remembering him!

Regards,

Jim
    RealSax.com "When you need real sax in your tracks."
    http://www.realsax.com

more fun Roberto, thanks!
    Dan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast