• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Toccata op.61 for violin solo

Share/Bookmark

Toccata op.61 for violin solo

Hello everyone,

After months I didn't post anything, finally, I decided to post my first composition with Garritan Stradivari solo violin.

I hope you'll enjoy my piece. And please comment!!!

P.S. The link is some posts later...

Re: Toccata op.61 for violin solo

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Maria Ottavin
    Hello everyone,

After months I didn't post anything, finally, I decided to post my first composition with Garritan Stradivari solo violin.

http://digidownload.libero.it/KIIIII...ta%20op.61.mp3

It's a nice composition but your dynamics don't sound natural at all.

Your ppp measures sound as though the fiddle player went into the next room and then came back for the f bars.

I like your music except for this.

Best regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Excellent writing - and very captivating Andrea. Larry's already mentioned the dynamics which can be easily fixed - unless, ofcourse, this is what you intended. I remember from my guitar playing days that I could create a very distant sound by fingering the notes rapidly against the fret board without actually plucking the string with the right hand (bow in the case of the violin). Not sure whether you can do this on the fiddle. Was this the intention?

Regards, Graham

PS I'm going to have to get this solo Strad thingy, it sounds great!

Andrea, some fine writing (and thinking!) in this,
    my friend... a very cogently built, coherent, and
    compositionally satisfying toccata.

As others have mentioned, the dynamics do seem to
    need some work; but not to worry, Andrea, with time
    and a little experience, this all comes together. I
    might also suggest slowing down just a bit.

Keep it coming, Andrea!

My best,

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Yes, I wanted those dynamics in that way because I wanted to place side by side to the tuplets legato a pianissimo, to increase the difficoulty of the piece. Surely this piece needs improvements. Thanks for your comments.

Andrea.

Andrea,

Excellent writing, a challanging work for even the skilled violinist. This has a great feeling to it.

The problem with the dynamics is that the pianissimo (p) sounds more like (pppp). This is not a normal affect for the instrument. I understand why you want the changed were they are. But they do not sound real in this case.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful work with the forum. I hope that you will bring more music here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Here's an improved version of my Toccata op.61. I tried to solve the problem of the passage form ff to p and another problem about the D major scale at the end of the piece.

http://digidownload.libero.it/KIIIII...(improved).mp3

Hope you'll enjoy!!!!

Andrea.

P.S.: I forgot to tell you all this piece, from writing to recording, is made with Finale 2007a.

Hope you'll enjoy!!!!

I don't know if it is possible in real life, special those downbows(accented chords) followed by the pp (or p) but this is good. By the way, did you recently buy a Ferrari? (just joking about the speed).

Raymond

Raymond,

Thanks for your comment. I brought this piece to my brother's violin teacher and he was very enthusiastic. He told it's a complicated piece but possible to be played. About the high speed: you're not the only one who told me this.
    I wanted a Presto Agitato. It's a Toccata after all.
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Andrea.

Andrea, I just now heard and really enjoyed your piece. It must be exciting to work with the Strad, I can only imagine.

I understand that the current link you have up is the "improved" version, done in the wake of the helpful critiques you received here. The dynamic range is still huge, and it turned out that I didn't have my speakers turned up enough to really hear the pp, and once I adjusted the volume, the ff was Quite loud indeed. It must be difficult to get extreme dynamic ranges so they sit just the way you want. It's dramatic as it is, I'm just not sure the extreme contrast is reigned in enough to actually translate on people's playback equipment in the best way.

Thank you for sharing--I had to catch my breath, empathizing as I was with your virtual violinist!

Randy
    rbowser

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast