• Register
  • Help

Topic: Things I love about Garritan

Share/Bookmark

Things I love about Garritan

First of all, I'm relatively new to the world of Garritan, I've listened to a lot of demos in the past and heard people talk about Garritan products, but when that group buy came around, I just couldn't be left behind!

I've noticed some things that the Garritan sample libraries have that are very practical and useful, and help me as the composer set up the instruments in my DAW with little inconvenience. First of all, the way the various articulations within easy accessibility. One thing that I dislike about other sample libraries is that the articulations are separate soundsets, requiring you to load them in a separate MIDI channel. It's just not practical and not "realistic". JABB lets you use keyswitching and controller changes so that all the articulations are at your fingertips. Not to mention the Stradivari violin, which is a dream come true--the articulations are not only within easy access, but are VERY realistically performable from a MIDI keyboard. I'm very impressed the amount of expression I can get playing the violin through the keyboard. Not to mention it's a very versatile instrument--I can play Jazz stuff in it, and then turn around and play more classical things and in every case, the violin is in its element. I love this versatility as well as the "quality not quantity" attitude which is a contrast to many other sound libraries.

Anyway, a big "thank you" to Mr. Garritan for making sound libraries that are practical, easy to use, and sound darn good!

Re: Things I love about Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by gregjazz
    Anyway, a big "thank you" to Mr. Garritan for making sound libraries that are practical, easy to use, and sound darn good!
    AMEN!

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen it to 10 characters"

OK,

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!

Yeah, although Fable's new Broadway/Big Band library sounds really nice, it's beyond what I can afford to pay for a sample library (I'd much rather buy hardware, or a nice guitar, or something physical that I can take to live gigs).

Anyway, that's sort of defeating the purpose. I bought JABB so that way I could notate charts for Jazz combos and be able to hear what it would sound like. With some tweaking you can make JABB sound really realistic, but more than anything I like the aspect of just being able to load in soundsets with all the articulations there and write music with it--I don't want to wait a long time while a multi-gig soundset loads.

Let me add my thanks to Mr. G.

First of all for being completly open minded (for many different reasons).

Then for making the Strady V. 2 (the only Garritan library I have atm), which is simply AMAZING! You get "tons" of articulations, with 1 midi channel and 100 Mb of RAM (at most), which seemed almost impossible to me. Plus the different controles which give a completly different sound everytime you change them.

Then for being who he is and being here all the time.

Yes, some of the expensive sound libraries might have some better sounds, but in terms of useability Garritan works for me. And overall the sounds of the Garritan libraries are very competitive with those in much more expensive collections. It is simply easier to get something that sounds good using the Garritan tools than with other libraries I have used.

Thumbs up Re: Things I love about Garritan

What's not to love about Garritan?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    What's not to love about Garritan?
    ??????

Frank

PS....Just remember it's another year until the next 'season of goodwill'!

Go Back to forum