• Register
  • Help

Topic: I have seen the UI...

Share/Bookmark

I have seen the UI...

I just got back from CES, where I spent some time with Gary and Jeff talking samples, forums, music and life. I was also lucky enough to see the User Interface for the upcoming Garritan sample player...

The UI is super simple, great looking and likely very effective. In the main sample window there is a list of the instruments on the left and a picture of a stage on the right. Drag a cello onto the stage and you get a picture of a cello. Drag it left or right, and the instrument is panned. Drag it to the back of the stage, the photo shrinks (think Mac OS-X) and the volume/ambiance are adjusted automagically. So, instead of the two stage process of 1) assigning instruments to channels, and b) setting up the panning and placement, you accomplish both in one step. There was a separate window (or was it for the Steinway?) that provided a simple EQ/Volume/Pan/Width kind of control.

The UI looked simple and effective. Of course, if you want more advanced DSP, one would be able to achieve that downstream in their DAW. But for the person who just wants to make music, the UI would let you set the basics and just play.

I asked about GOS2 (I'm VERY interested), but Gary is holding his cards to his chest, until he sees what is announced at NAMM. Apparently he has some nice technical tricks up his sleeve. I did confirm that GOS2 would include many of the techniques used in the Strad and the cello. Of course, that only confirms the obvious.

To cap off a great show, I flew back to Portland in the seat next to Jeff Hurchalla, where we talked about music and much, much more. I only hope he enjoyed my company a tenth as much as I enjoyed his. (And I hope the light rail got him home over the frozen tracks!)

I can't wait to hear the news from NAMM - and Gary's announcements afterwards!

Re: I have seen the UI...

Thanks Jon,
    it sounds like you had a good time.
    Dan

Thanks Dan,

Definitely a good time. Not to mention getting to see the latest CE stuff, like the 108" LCD TV, 120 Hz TVs (that will sync perfectly with 24 fps film), and some fantastic audio gear.

Gibson had more live performances this year in their tent. Unfortunately, I missed the Joan Jett performance. Some other booths had live bands as well, but the sound system and mix in the Gibson tent said "concert", rather than "tradeshow".

I'm also happy because an all-day meeting I chaired on Thursday met all of our goals.

But, on a personal level, meeting up with Gary and Jeff was the most enjoyable part of the show!

And did I mention that I got to see the new UI?

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I just got back from CES, where I spent some time with Gary and Jeff talking samples, forums, music and life. I was also lucky enough to see the User Interface for the upcoming Garritan sample player...
    If Gary is reading this I wonder if there is any chance of a screenshot or two.

I think it might be a bit early for this due to copyright or 'trade secret' issues or whatever but no harm in asking .. I hope
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    If Gary is reading this I wonder if there is any chance of a screenshot or two.

I think it might be a bit early for this due to copyright or 'trade secret' issues or whatever but no harm in asking .. I hope
    I can do that in just a few days. It is interactive so I am not sure a screenshot will do it justice but we'll try.

Gary Garritan

Jon,

Good to see you at the show. That's a good description of the UI. you gave. We I hope this system makes things much easier for musicians. Much of the real innovation comes "under the hood" and the underlying sample engine is solid and robost. There's a lot more we can do as far as programming, DSP and convolution. We also plan to make it easy to register.

We will post some more details soon. Hope to see you again at one of the shows.

Gary Garritan

Wow! I am so excited. John, did you get to hear any of the new stuff?

Tell me more... tell me more!!!

Go Back to forum