• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thanks for having me NS

Share/Bookmark

Thanks for having me NS

Hello everyone

my name is Jeffrey Leiser. I'm a film composer and have been for 6 years. I used to peruse this forum for free samples (and in fact still do!) and I also used to correspond with Gary Garritan. (I still have an old YFC Competition piece on his site in Nostalgia)

I'm currently going to a school in Burbank (California) called Video Symphony, in the Pro Tools Career program, although I'll probably never teach it. I still used Logic Pro 6 at home to compose on an old, trusty G4.

I'm just looking to meet new and interesting people. I started out doing just electronic music before writing for small scale orchestra. Now I'm back to electronic music, since there is so much you can do in the way of originality, and when mixed with live instruments, amazing things can happen. In fact, I'm always on the search for strange instruments and the people who play them.

If you're interested, there a few songs on www.myspace.com/jeffleiser from various sources, although it ain't much. (I'm a novice web designer so I couldn't figure out how to put one of those streaming players on my website.

I work with my brother mostly as a film composer. Our 2nd feature "Imagination" is basically finished and we're sending it off to film fests (www.albinofawn.com) currently.

If I can help anyone out with my limited technical expertise (especially in the way of how your film compositions get secretly compressed for the DVD of the film and how you can counter that) and anything relating to film sound, I'll be more than happy to divulge.

God bless

~JL

Re: Thanks for having me NS

Hi Jeffrey,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you are here with us. There are a lot of fascinating and talented people here and you are going to fit right in.

All the best,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by infinity
    If I can help anyone out with my limited technical expertise (especially in the way of how your film compositions get secretly compressed for the DVD of the film and how you can counter that) and anything relating to film sound, I'll be more than happy to divulge.

God bless

~JL
    I'd be happy to know that!!

And welcome

Btw like your songs on your myspace, particulary Grandma's dust. Great textures and playing.
    Francois Jolin
    www.eonsounds.com

Hey, thanks for the replies!

Well, there are many secret ways a picture editor can mess with your audio. Here's one:

If they use A. Pack to encode an AC3 of the final AIF mixdown of the film, then you need to let them know of a few options:

1) The date rate (kbps) should be set to highest
    2) Dialogue Normalization should be set to -31 dBFS. The more in the negative the number is, the better, and the limit is -31.
    3) Film Standard Compression should be turned OFF
    4) Uncheck all the filters unless you have sub-frequency information.

An AC3 is the same as an mp3, only higher quality/on a more advanced algorithm which I won't pretend to understand.

Just a bit of advice.

Welcome aboard! I'll check out your myspace page now.

By the way, there are some cool flash players you can get for your website to stream music on. Google for a 'flash mp3 player' or something. I've used this one before, it's quite neat:
    http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/

-Chris

Yes, I've been using this one as well:

http://www.rothermusic.de

Hi Jeffery:

This is also my first post and I'm glad someone else is joining in today.

I find the idea of scoring firms very interesting -- it's something I hope to explore in a few years when my day job becomes less demanding.

Just wanted to say hi and invite you to visit my "welcome thread"

Charlie

Go Back to forum