• Register
  • Help

Topic: Considering Finale 2007

Share/Bookmark

Considering Finale 2007

Well, I own Finale 2006 and the original GPO. I am considering upgrading to Finale 2007, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on the matter. Is Finale 2007 something I just have to have (i.e. is there enough new stuff in it that it's worth the upgrade price), or can I wait a couple years for Finale 2009, or the like?

One of the reasons I bought Finale 2006 was the partnering with GPO it had. I already had the GPO library, but I really enjoyed the ease of which I could use Finale with GPO (without having to use the studio).
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Re: Considering Finale 2007

Quote Originally Posted by FossMan
    Well, I own Finale 2006 and the original GPO. I am considering upgrading to Finale 2007, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on the matter. Is Finale 2007 something I just have to have (i.e. is there enough new stuff in it that it's worth the upgrade price), or can I wait a couple years for Finale 2009, or the like?

One of the reasons I bought Finale 2006 was the partnering with GPO it had. I already had the GPO library, but I really enjoyed the ease of which I could use Finale with GPO (without having to use the studio).
    If you're content with 2006, I'd say don't upgrade.

I did, and don't find enough useful changes.

That said, if you want to work with video, it does incorporate that now (but not nearly as well as a sequencer like Sonar).

There is a dynamic parts feature too, which could be of some use to you, depending on your need to generate individual parts. There are still some bugs in that though.

The only reason I might consider Finale 2007 is if it will allow me to pplay back trap set sounds along with the orchestra. Right now with 2006, the GPO library I purchased does not come with trap set sounds. Finale can create rythms for me in the score, but I cannot play them back with the rest of the orchestra (unless I'm missing something).

From what I understand, the Kontakt Player 2 will allow other sounds along with GPO. Of course, maybe I can purchase the Gen Midi module in Feb and that will integrate nicely with what I already have.
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

From what I understand, the Kontakt Player 2 will allow other sounds along with GPO.
    Only if you buy a library, that has been encoded for KP2.

Biggest things for me are the video and the "linked" parts. For orchestral music the "linked" parts alone are worth the price.

However if that is not a big concern for you I wouldn't bother.

Christiaan

I've been only using 2005 for the longest while, so I found 2007 to be quite nice. Having the linked parts is wonderful, but it doesn't work quite as smoothly as it should. At a certaint point I find I have to extract the parts to a different file in order to complete them. I'm sure they'll fix some of these issues in the future, but for now, I say their linked parts are off to a pretty good start.

I have been using 2007 for a while now - and for ME, the speed improvements alone are worth the price. (Mac OSX users were SOOO shafted with the release of Finale 2004 OSX version - it was slower than slow - and continued pretty much until the release of 2007).

The abilty to work with GPO Finale edition is nice. But, since I tend to do all my tweaking stuff in a sequencer/DAW like Tracktion, it is kind of a pain to get used to how something sounds (GPO Finale edition does have some unique instruments which GPO does not) in Finale, but then have to set up a different set up for DAW work.

If Finale EVER overhauls its MIDI Tool, (to be more like Overture or similar), I think I may end up doing all my MIDI tweaking in Finale, if my CPU can allow it.

For me- it was worth the upgrade. I use it heavily and with some minor bugs, it seems to be rock-solid.

My 2 pennies' worth

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Speaking of Finale...
    Does anyone know where/how to get it for cheap? I was thinking group buys or something like that.
    I don't own any notation software so upgrades/crossgrade deals would not work

Thanks for your help!

Diego

Quote Originally Posted by diegom
    Speaking of Finale...
    Does anyone know where/how to get it for cheap? I was thinking group buys or something like that.
    I don't own any notation software so upgrades/crossgrade deals would not work

Thanks for your help!

Diego
    There's academic pricing which also applies for those using the product to assist religous worship. Needless to say, this needs to be legit. Otherwise, maybe look for a second hand copy that has been decommissioned. However, this is risky (remember you will need to register it!) and the upgrade price is less attractive for editions older than the last few.

Finale isn't cheap and it occassionally comes in for some criticsm - but that's not surprising when you look at it's capabilities. I'm having some issues with 2007a right now - but they'll get sorted.

Regards, Graham

One way to save money is to download free Notepad, register it, use the registration to buy PrintMusic with a discount, register PM and use PM's registration to buy Finale with a discount. A little extra work, but you can actually save some money that way.

Go Back to forum