• Register
  • Help

Topic: String key switches and articulations in Overture?

Share/Bookmark

String key switches and articulations in Overture?

How do I notate legato string bowing of a group of the same notes? A tie makes the four quarter notes sound like a whole note. (tied notes)

Do I have to use the graphic curve symbol?

How does one notate the articulation of bow direction and have it assign the proper sample using GPO keyswitches?
    i.e.
    Down bow on 1st note
    up
    down
    up
    up
    up
    down
    up

Do I need to mark every note?
    Or utilize alternate bowing key switches as well as down and up ks or articulations?
    Bosco Adama

Re: String key switches and articulations in Overture?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco Adama
    How do I notate legato string bowing of a group of the same notes? A tie makes the four quarter notes sound like a whole note. (tied notes)

Do I have to use the graphic curve symbol?

How does one notate the articulation of bow direction and have it assign the proper sample using GPO keyswitches?
    i.e.
    Down bow on 1st note
    up
    down
    up
    up
    up
    down
    up

Or utilize alternate bowing key switches as well as down and up ks or articulations?
    Bosco,

Write only a line over each of the 4 notes, or write nothing.
    A slur to a violin usually indicates a phrase on one bow, so Overture is behaving kinda like a violinist.

There is a GPO keyswitch that yields alternating bows. No need to write a separate KS for each up/down. I'm not near GPO now and can't recall which key it is. Someone will chime in or you can check the GPO update manual.
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Since you asked about the notation: Draw a slur but right-click and deactivate it.

For a realistic midi-mockup of a portato you need a second stave and play them alternating.

i.e.
    Down bow on 1st note
    up
    down
    up
    up
    up
    down
    up

You can do both but the sound will be different.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Smile Re: String key switches and articulations in Overture?

I didn't see the slur in the grouping menu until today! That makes life easier.

thanks!
    Bosco Adama

I didn't see the slur in the grouping menu until today! That makes life easier.

thanks!
    Bosco:
    1. You can also slur notes by selecting the notes in question and doing a CTRL+L.

2. Once again, a slur mark to a string player means ON ONE BOW, so it makes little sense to put only a slur or a tie over a group of four of the same notes.

If what you want is PORTATO*, that is notated with a legato line over each note and a slur over the group.

That will give notes on the same bow, but each with a bit of a "bump" or "push." If that's what you want, that's how to notate it.

If that is not what you want, just write legato lines over each note and the player will play alternating bows, long notes.

Snorlax

*You say PORTAHTO, I say PORTAYTO....
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax

*You say PORTAHTO, I say PORTAYTO....
    PortayToe

thanks
    Bosco Adama

Go Back to forum