• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Launches New Software Musical Instruments and New Sampler

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Garritan Launches New Software Musical Instruments and New Sampler

January 08, 2007 09:00 AM Eastern Time
    Garritan Launches New Software Musical Instruments Division and New Software Musical Instrument Products

2007 International CES
    Booth No. 72446

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--At the Consumer Electronics Show today, Garritan, a leading soundware developer, today announced the launch of the Garritan Software Instrument Division and previewed new software musical instrument products. The primary goal of this new division is to develop sample-based and synthesized software musical instruments using a new sample player. New products will be demonstrated during the CES show at Booth No. 72446 in the Sands Convention Center.

The company is previewing a virtual Steinway Piano, in collaboration with Steinway and Sons, the most respected name in pianos. Also being shown is the new Concert and Marching Band -- a complete collection of software band instruments to create realistic-sounding band arrangements. It includes trumpets, trombones, sousaphones, snare drums and drumline, cornets, saxes and many other instruments.

Also being shown is the Gofriller Solo Cello, which sounds like one of the best cellos ever made. Exclusive "Sonic Morphing" technology makes this a uniquely expressive and playable instrument. Morphing describes what can be seen in motion pictures where there is a gradual transformation from one image into another and this basic concept has been applied to sound samples allowing the samples to provide expressive performance.

At CES, Garritan will be previewing a new sampler with a unique and intuitive user interface. It allows the user to select, load, manipulate and mix software and sampled instruments in one single graphical environment. Garritan will also be showing its popular Garritan Personal Orchestra, a complete orchestral collection for a computer, and the Jazz and Big Band collection. Consumer versions of these products are planned.

About Garritan Libraries

Garritan is a leader and innovator of sample libraries and soundware. Garritan has received multiple industry awards and numerous accolades in the music press and among professional musicians. Garritan Libraries are used in classes at leading music colleges and universities. Its flagship product, Garritan Personal Orchestra, has won accolades from celebrity musicians and music press alike. Garritan software instruments are used in a variety of applications: from popular TV shows, film and attractions to video games, live concerts and ballets. For more information about Garritan instruments, and to hear a wide array of demos, visit www.garritan.com.

Contacts
    Garritan Instruments
    Gary Garritan, 360-376-5766
    gary@garritan.com
    www.garritan.com
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Re: Garritan Launches New Software Musical Instruments Division

Well - alrighty then.

How about some screen shots?

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Smile Re: Garritan Launches New Software Musical Instruments Division

New sampler? Interesting stuff! I recall a thread Gary started about asking us what we would think about Garritan developing its own sampler. It seems Gary was testing the waters while development was under way. Smart! I was not warm to the idea in my reply, however the description of the sampler in the press release is compelling. I second Houston's request for screen shots!

Could it be that GPOA (or GPO 2 or whatever it will be called) will be based on this new sampler and not the NI sampler? Will the relationship with NI be terminated? Will current products and soon to be released products like the marching band and Grofiller use the new sampler? This will be interesting!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

WILL THEY ALLOW US TO USE THEM WITH FINALE AS WE CURRENTLY DO. i HOPE! I PRAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    How about some screen shots?
    Gary is temporarily without Internet service - rather ironic at a technology convention, but that's how it is. I'm sure he'll post something in the days to come.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    Will the relationship with NI be terminated?
    Certainly not. We intend our partnership with NI to continue alongside any other "in house" developments.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSands
    WILL THEY ALLOW US TO USE THEM WITH FINALE AS WE CURRENTLY DO. i HOPE! I PRAY!
    Since our relationship with NI will remain intact, things will continue to function in Finale. We put a high priority on our products working with Notation programs.

Tom

no word about gos2 or gpo advanced. what a pitty...

Maybe GOS2 is going to be developed for the new sampler? I really think the hybrid way (sample + synthesis) is the way to go. Look at Synful, it needs some improvements and articulations (they're on it) but I think it's the future. The same as those winds made by Arne ( http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45424 ). This approach needs way less RAM and not too much CPU power. With a dual core machine and 2GB of RAM, you could do complete orchestrations. There are other ways to store samples than traditional PCM format. PCM is in digital audio like BMP in in digital image, and new technologies allow storing audio in a way equivalent to vectorial images.

I wish Gary take this way!
    -Dani-

Just to clarify, Gary Garritan placed this press release on the Business Wire service on Monday morning.

I simply picked it up off the Internet on Monday night and reposted it here.

I'm sure Gary has more information to add, but he is at the CES convention in Las Vegas and is too busy to post more info right now.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Go Back to forum