• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Does anyone use a pedal to control mod wheel or pitch bend?

Share/Bookmark

Does anyone use a pedal to control mod wheel or pitch bend?

I use orchestral samples (and synths) that open up and change timbre/velocity as you turn up the mod wheel. If I'm playing with 2 hands though, I'm outta luck till I draw it in later. Does anyone use a pedal for this? How would it be done?

Re: Does anyone use a pedal to control mod wheel or pitch bend?

I just bought an expression pedal (M-Audio EX-P for $29.95). I find that helps a lot, basically letting me mix while a play. Then I touch up the CC11 track instead of Track Automation, which can somtimes choke Logic.

It would be nice to get the expression pedal to control mod wheel for those patches that use Mod Wheel for volume. I haven't figured this one out yet. Isn't there a little box you can buy that swtiches between CC1 and 11? I think I saw that on another thread.

JD

I tried it out for a while using my Edirol PCR-80 keyboard in conjunction with a Roland DP-8 pedal, which is a type of sustain/damper. I didn't like it because I needed to keep pressure on the pedal at all times and my foot and the controller didn't work together with the precision necessary for control.

I imagine you would get much better results with an expression pedal.

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by JMDNYC
    Isn't there a little box you can buy that swtiches between CC1 and 11? I think I saw that on another thread.
    JD
    MIDIOX will do it on your computer.
    http://www.midiox.com/

If you don't already have an expression pedal jack on the back of your keyboard, I reckon that'll do the trick.

Check out this one as well (on the same site), as it seems to be tailored to the use of expression pedals:
    http://www.midisolutions.com/prodped.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    MIDIOX will do it on your computer.
    http://www.midiox.com/
    Would you mind explaining how it's done? If it's not to much to ask?.. I've never used midiox... Does it work well with win XP?...

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    Would you mind explaining how it's done? If it's not to much to ask?.. I've never used midiox... Does it work well with win XP?...
    Sure!

Yes, it is XP-friendly. I've noticed virtually no increase in latency (though midiox can add it, if you really want).

To get going, there are two utilities you'll need:
    -MidiOx, which ends up acting as a GoBetween between the keyboard and the synth or midi-receiving program.
    -MidiYokeNT, which creates virtual midi cables on your PC, allowing you to establish a signal chain once the stuff gets into your PC. The NT version is for XP and NT; Windows98 has its own version.

Check http://midiox.com for the latest versions for both programs.

I've set up my midi keyboard to transmit Volume (CC7) control messages using one of its sliders in this example I'm about to use. I will play a note on my keyboard and fiddle with the volume slider, run it through midiox to convert the volume to CC1 mod data, and then finally route it to the Garritan Personal Orchestra standalone, which will respond to the new "modwheel" data. This can be applied to CC11, another controller, or even Channel Aftertouch with a very quick tweak.

The GPO synth input is set to the midi yoke cable, ensuring it gets the data AFTER it's been altered. To send the tweaked midi data to the synth, I've set MIDIOx's output as that midiyoke cable.

The Signal Chain looks like this:

Edirol PCR-80 -> Midi Ox -> MidiYokeNT1 -> GPO Standalone

Within MidiOx, you need to use the Data Mapping feature, available under the options menu. You can set it to remap multiple incoming events. I have attached a screenshot which shows the settings I've placed in the DataMapping utility to achieve this example.

Screenshot: http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6141/c7toc1zl2.jpg

I hope this answers your question!

Reegs

Is there a Mac version of the MidiOx?

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    I hope this answers your question!

Reegs
    You bet! It could't be clearer...

He! You wouldn't happen to be that crazy policeman from leathal weapon would ya?... That was his name right?

Thanks a lot Reegs!

Go Back to forum