• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sampletekk White, Jr. Question

Share/Bookmark

Sampletekk White, Jr. Question

I am doing my best to control my spending, but . . .

Anyway, it is easy to understand what you are sacrificing when you buy one of the miccing position sof the Black Grand.

It is more diffficult for me to determine what you are sacrificing you you purchase the White Grand, Jr. versus the White Grand.

What do you think. As a final piano to use in recordings, is it fair to say if you do not get the White Grand, you might as well take a pass?

Or, is it closer to say the White Grand, Jr. should take care of your needs for a bright poppy piano?

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Re: Sampletekk White, Jr. Question

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    I am doing my best to control my spending, but . . .

Anyway, it is easy to understand what you are sacrificing when you buy one of the miccing position sof the Black Grand.

It is more diffficult for me to determine what you are sacrificing you you purchase the White Grand, Jr. versus the White Grand.

What do you think. As a final piano to use in recordings, is it fair to say if you do not get the White Grand, you might as well take a pass?

Or, is it closer to say the White Grand, Jr. should take care of your needs for a bright poppy piano?

jeffn1
    There will be update options from WG Jr to the full White Grand on our site shortly so you can safely get WG Jr and then later, if you want, update to the full version.
    WGJr is the same samples as WG, only less velocities and some are a bit shorter and looped.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

I would recommend that you take advantage of Worra's upgrade policy. I own them both and I use the Jr. all of the time when I want too load a piano quicky. Its also great to use to sketch out an arrangement because it doesn't tax your CPU and I don't have to freeze it. But when its time to get serious, its no substitute for the full WG.
    My $.02,
    JP

Thanks for the helpful responses.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymio
    I would recommend that you take advantage of Worra's upgrade policy. I own them both and I use the Jr. all of the time when I want too load a piano quicky. Its also great to use to sketch out an arrangement because it doesn't tax your CPU and I don't have to freeze it. But when its time to get serious, its no substitute for the full WG.
    My $.02,
    JP
    Per, is the upgrade path just paying the difference in prices between Jr. and Full?

Also, is there a downgrade path for ease in doing what JP describes? Can White Grand Full owners download Jr. for free or minimal charge?

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    Also, is there a downgrade path for ease in doing what JP describes? Can White Grand Full owners download Jr. for free or minimal charge?
    Worra posted a couple of economy patches for WG here: http://www.sampletekk.com/wgresource.php.

I forget how many layers those are. I think I created a 3rd economy patch that goes even further (maybe down to 8 levels?). Definately created my own for White Sister, the Steiny Ds, and others.

It's actually pretty easy to create your own economy patches given that piano patches are generally just large matrices of sample groups. The trick is finding the right velocity layers that have the least impact to playability when removed, adjusting start end transitions appropriately to fill in removed layers, and adjusting velocity scaling to compensate for loudness differences between layers. Just need a little patience and an ear for detail. With a good deal of patience you can go right down to 4 layers and have something very lightweight but playable for scratch work.

SampleTekk pianos are excellent! I have them all but one (yes I am a piano junkie). If you're undecided on getting full or jr.... spare yourself and get the full! they're 50% off! As soon as you try the jr, you're going to want to step up, plus also buy other ones because they are all very nice pianos. You just can't go wrong with any of them.

Seven Sea's has been my personal favorite of all my pianos since I got it, I can't recommend that one enough - 93 layers!
    Black Grand Med Amb sounds just like the piano in Pink Floyd's High Hopes
    Rain Piano is just flat out fun to play with!
    All of them are really great!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Dirk
    SampleTekk pianos are excellent! I have them all but one (yes I am a piano junkie). If you're undecided on getting full or jr.... spare yourself and get the full! they're 50% off! As soon as you try the jr, you're going to want to step up, plus also buy other ones because they are all very nice pianos. You just can't go wrong with any of them.

Seven Sea's has been my personal favorite of all my pianos since I got it, I can't recommend that one enough - 93 layers!
    Black Grand Med Amb sounds just like the piano in Pink Floyd's High Hopes
    Rain Piano is just flat out fun to play with!
    All of them are really great!
    Aaron, Thank you for the tip, Black Grand MA sounds really marvellous (I agree what you say about the Floyd sound). I´m considering some of the STekk´s pianos, reading comments in this forum the Emperor seems to be favorite for many; I have listened the demos and according to these find the Emperor maybe most suitable for "classical music hall-sound" and not that versatile than what BGMA sounds - I´d like hear you opinion of the this. Harry

I have the Emperor but since I purchased several of the Sampletekk pianos I haven't used the Emperor at all. Of course I'm not doing anything like "classical music hall-sound".
    JP

Emperor is different from Black Grand, because it's a Bosendorfer and Black Grand is a Steinway. Generally Bosendorfers are associated with classical, such as Rachmaninoff and Chopin. The Emperor is actually quit dry, so it's more diverse than just a "classical" piano. Someone like Tori Amos uses Bosendorfers, but since I don't have any of her works, I can't really compare. Bosendorfers also have a love/hate sound, I personally love it. If I had room for a real concert grand, this would be my pick.

PMI Bosendorfer 290 is also a really great sampled piano set, it comes with both Dry(close) and Wet(ambient) I really love the sound of the Wet, definitely a classical sound.

Another really great PMI, but hardly talked about, is Old Lady which is a Steinway. Like Emperor, it is pretty dry too. It's different from Black Grand. I really like the soft samples of this one.

Another fun piano (especially on a historical side) is the PMI Forte Piano

If you're looking for something to use for other than classical. SampleTekk's TBO is really good, so is White Grand, as well as Black Grand Close.

I would definitely check out the demos, and also would say get a couple pianos. At these prices you really won't regret it. 50% for the finest sampled pianos out there, how can you go wrong!
    I don't think there's really a one piano fits all, although Seven Sea's could come close. Both this and TBO are the "grand" daddy's (see I already made it a 2 piano affair )

Hope you find this useful

Go Back to forum