• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: help, what is this piece?

Share/Bookmark

OT: help, what is this piece?

Sorry for cluttering the forum, but I'm going Nuts(!) and this is the right place to cure that.
    I keep hearing this piece in my head. I know so well what it is, and many of us in here do too, but I just can't find the particular name for it. Reminder needed.
    It's Bach, it's slow and moody and starts out kinda like this:

thx
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Re: OT: help, what is this piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    Sorry for cluttering in the forum, but I'm going Nuts(!) and this is the right place to cure that.
    I keep hearing this piece in my head. I know so well what it is, and many of us in here do too, but I just can't find the particular name for it. Reminder needed.
    It's Bach, it's slow and moody and starts out kinda like this:

thx
    Well if it was in 3/4 time, it would be the piece that's commonly known as Albinoni's Adagio. In fact only a rough sketch is by Albinoni, and the piece is a 20th Century realisation. I can't remember who did it, but maybe someone else can chime in here. It has also caused a number of Copyright wrangles, as people assumed that it was out of Copyright, being a Baroque piece.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Well if it was in 3/4 time, it would be the piece that's commonly known as Albinoni's Adagio. In fact only a rough sketch is by Albinoni, and the piece is a 20th Century realisation. I can't remember who did it, but maybe someone else can chime in here. It has also caused a number of Copyright wrangles, as people assumed that it was out of Copyright, being a Baroque piece.
    But you're absolutely right - it is! The moment I saw your post I went to my CDs and picked Albinoni out ... and Bingo.
    I schetched the notation from my memory of this tune, seemingly distorted in 4/4. I was so sure I remembered this was our old German master JSB, kept connecting it to his Air from orch suite No 3, D minor. I was looking in the wrong repertoir, no wonder I couldn't find it.

Thanks alot, Daryl.
    7 minutes, what a great forum this is
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Glad to be of some help!

D

Go Back to forum