• Register
  • Help

Topic: Life is stirring at Fables Sounds

Share/Bookmark

Life is stirring at Fable Sounds

Even though there are no demos yet, it looks like Broadway Big Band might be released soon. There's a new pdf file for download with (mostly old) information about the library, including some pictures of the recording sessions. Maybe by NAMM we'll get to hear some demos.

Re: Life is stirring at Fables Sounds

For those interested, Sonivox has posted some demos of the band library on their website. Even though I'm not into jazz, I thought the demos sounded very realistic.

Yes they were! Impresive stuff.

Holy crap! I just saw the price!

Those are some very impressive demos indeed. Looking forward to hearing about how the samples are to work with. Too bad the price is so sizable- but if the workability matches the demos, then I will have to get some extra gigs to pay for this!

Anyone else do musical theatre on NS? It's my main thing, though I get more paying work doing scores for plays and dance pieces. Curious.

Mark

Originally, Fable Sounds had mentioned that they were going to make each of the sections separately available. It looks like they have temperarily changed their mind.

To be fair, Sonivox (better known as Sonic Implants), have never been frightened to sell their products at a price which some of us regard as too high. Still they know their own market......but most of their prices are too high for me; consequently I have yet to buy anything from them.

Obviously, Big Band libraries have a more limited market than orchestras, (especially since JABB beat them to the market and satiated some of the interest) so that could make a higher price necessary......Hmmmm....thinks....

Frank

I think the two products' aim differs. JABB's stated goal is to allow arrangers to mockup charts that are ultimately to (mostly) be replaced with real players, Fable Sounds is aiming to replace the real players, except perhaps for solos (and judging by the demos seems to be rather successful)

I don't think this market is smaller than the orchestral one actually...as this type of library is useful for any style of music that uses "non-orchestral" horns...pop, rock, r&b, funk, latin etc etc in addition to the wide variety of jazz styles.

So I would certainly think there's room for more than one library in the field.

matto

Quote Originally Posted by matto
    So I would certainly think there's room for more than one library in the field.
    matto
    I agree with you Matto, I am a JABB enthusiast, and the pricing of this Lib puts it beyond my range, but there are not too many Libraries catering to the Jazz/Pop/Latin/Ska/Reggae/Broadway horns market.

The demo's sound great, I would love to hear a burning Tenor solo from this lib.

Congrats to Sonivox. The more, the merrier.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    I would love to hear a burning Tenor solo from this lib.
    regards Joe
    I agree : the only way to see if this lib is really worth 2 grands is to see if exposed solos are convincing : it has been shown that talented people can do very convincing jazz ensemble music out of Jabb or Chris Hein Horns, even out of older libs.
    But the real challenge IMHO is to make almost-real horns or winds solos..... If I hear something believable in this area, I'll say the price is justified. Otherwise...
    Another question : which amount of tweaking, editing, time-consuming mouse-tasks are needed for the results ? Nobody knows so far.

Go Back to forum