• Register
  • Help

Topic: How much RAM can GPO/Kontact use?

Share/Bookmark

How much RAM can GPO/Kontact use?

I know that this has been discussed before but I could still use a clear
    answer as it relates to GPO/Kontact (& Sonar).

I plan to get a new computer in the near future. If it get 4gb, will GPO
    and Kontact benefit from having 4gb of RAM?

Here is a Sonar Forum comment about the issue:
    "If you have 4 gig memory then you are using 4 gig memory. It is used as 2GB for the OS and 2GB for applications. The 4GB window limit is due to 32 bit processing.

You can trick it with a /3G switch to use 3GB for Apps and 1GB for the kernel but it's pretty pointless as your application has to be large address aware to take advantage of this tweak. Most apps are designed to coordinate with the 2GB limit."

Later, someone else says that Sonar 6 is "large address aware", but is GPO
    and Kontact?

What is the maximum amount of memory that GPO and Kontact (and Sonar) can actually use?

Many thanks, k

Re: How much RAM can GPO/Kontact use?

I don't know this, but I am also thinking of buying another "state of the art" computer with as much memory as I can get. Why? When I manage to find a small driver to make a "virtual disk" in RAM, I can copy Garritan...dll to that virtual disk and ..... it will fetch the samples at the speed of light. Now the speed of the HD's are (sometimes) the bottleneck.

May be a useful thought.....

Raymond

...bump...

Can't anyone tell me how much RAM GPO can effectively use on an XP system?

3gb? with the 3gb switch?

2gb?

Other?

thanks, k

The 3 GB switch isn't really going to help you with GPO. The whole GPO Library is only 2.5 GB in size. You should have no problem loading up a full symphony orchestra including piano with just 2 GB without using DFD. Kontakt can only use 2 GB so you won't pickup much with the 3 GB switch. I've heard in other threads that most only pickup maybe 200 MB more of memory.

Jim

Thank you Haydn, that's helpful. But you didn't include the OS in your answer.

If XP divides the RAM 50/50 between the OS and the apps, does that mean
    that I need 4gb to use GPO/Kontact to it's fullest (i.e., 2gb)?

If that's the case, it sounds like one might as well using the 3gb switch as
    you gain a few hundred meg and lose nothing?

Thank you for your patience, klassical

I'm using Windows XP 32-bit version. I can load about 1.7 GB of samples on my 2 GB machine. Windows uses about 150 MB and Sonar and Kontakt (8 instances) use another 150 MB. I try to run my OS as clean as possible with just music apps and not other items like virus scanners, firewalls, etc in memory. I've heard of people getting 1.9 GB of samples loaded with 3 GB in the machine using the 3 GB switch.

Jim

Go Back to forum