• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale and Gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

Finale and Gigastudio

Hey all,

I was wondering, does anyone use Finale, a sequencer (I use Cubase), and Gigastudio together?

I have trouble, because when I import a Finale midi file into Cubase, and then try to record it with Gigastudio, the volume of all the instruments are in constant fluctuation. The volume bars are constantly going up and down. I can't understand it.

After experimenting, I managed to figure out that if I turn the Continuous Data setting under Human Playback Options to "No HP effect," the fluctuation stops. But then none of the crescendos or volume markings work either. So whats the deal? It seems Finale forces every whole note to have a crescendo and then decrescendo whether you like it or not.

Also, I am unsure of whether to use Standard, 21st Century, or some other type of Human Playback?

Anybody have any insight into this Human Playback stuff?

Thanks for any help!

-Andy

Re: Finale and Gigastudio

finale and cubase may be changing the files when you save them to their own format..ie..finale.mid or cubase.mid rather than a standard midi file..try saving as a smf and see if that works..could also be a general midi file trying to be played as a smf or other type of midi file..sounds like the midi control parameter for volume in channel control(cc7) is recieving mod wheel controller commands...look at the sysex commands..buy a book on midi about 300 pages..take a look at sound quest's midi tools..or midi ox..you need to be able to view the actual midi data..cubase should do that some wher..got a 500 page book on cubase? you can resolve this problem..but only with several refernce guides

I compose all of my music in Finale and had the same issue to begin with. Of course, I still find Finale useless as a sequencer, and Sonar is my sequencer of choice. From what I can see, Finale's human playback controls a balance of parameters ranging from velocity to volume. This would work nicely except Finale shares channels between instruments which cause severe conflicts and very shaky sound. I place all of the instruments on seperate channels, but I still have the problem. Personally, I just turn off human playback and program these parameters to my own liking in Sonar. It may not be the most time-conservative method, but I prefer the control I get. If I were a conductor, I certainly wouldn't want a computer telling my orchestra how to express themselves!
    So maybe this isn't the most helpful, but I figured I'd share with you what I do in regards to the issue.

Robert Chastain
    http://www.myspace.com/robertchastain

Hey I understand what you're saying about just turning it off, and I have been turning human playback off also so far, but the problem there is that when you do that Finale doesn't interpret glissandos, tremolos, or trills.

Which leads to a lot more extra programming - very irritating and time-consuming.

hello,

check out the Human Playback Custom Style dialog box, you can define a style suitable for your compostition there. I normally check all boxes except the Hairpins when i want to import a Finale piece into a sequencer ( i am using Cubase 4). Check Chapter 39, page 27 in the manual, it helps a lot.

Regards,
    Karin

Quote Originally Posted by karin66
    hello,

check out the Human Playback Custom Style dialog box, you can define a style suitable for your compostition there. I normally check all boxes except the Hairpins when i want to import a Finale piece into a sequencer ( i am using Cubase 4). Check Chapter 39, page 27 in the manual, it helps a lot.

Regards,
    Karin
    Thank you Karin! (and everybody else that offered help) With your advice, I finally figured it out - you have to deselect Automated Expression in theHuman Playback Custom Style dialog box.

That finally ended the crazy volume control fluctuations, thank goodness!

Go Back to forum