• Register
  • Help

Topic: SIR impulse reverb

Share/Bookmark

SIR impulse reverb and altiverb and other impulses

I have recently tried the free SIR impulse reverb and have a question. My system is getting old, P4 2.5ghz, but I can play any vst in realtime with other effects applied, such as regular reverb, delay etc...
    SIR works well and sounds good but when you apply it and try to play a VST through it there is quite a delay in the sound compared to no delay without it. Is this normal with Impulse reverbs? Are they usually applied only after a part is recorded? Do the nonfree ones process faster?

Re: SIR impulse reverb

SIR has a lot of latency. I'd not use it for realtime monitoring.

Yeah I noticed this in the FAQ. "Due to technical reasons the plugIn works with a fixed latency of 8960 samples that is compensated for by the VST-host."

Can this be compensated for in realtime or only on playback?

My main question was do other non-free Impulse plugins have realtime processing?

You could try the free Lite version of Convo Boy instead. It works with the same IR's as SIR, and it may have less latency.

Wizooverb W2 can be used in real-time without any noticeable latency.

Thanks Nickie, I'm looking at the others now. I've also downloaded the demo of Altiverb but it's rather pricey at $595.

js33, Altiverb will be perhaps one of your alltime best purchases. Worth ten times what it costs.

For instance, there is 99 impulse responses taken from a Lexicon 480 L. That's just one of the hardware devices included.

Every month or so Audio Ease offers a free set of impulse responses for registered users. AWESOME!
    No latency with it in Digital Performer.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    js33, Altiverb will be perhaps one of your alltime best purchases. Worth ten times what it costs.

For instance, there is 99 impulse responses taken from a Lexicon 480 L. That's just one of the hardware devices included.

Every month or so Audio Ease offers a free set of impulse responses for registered users. AWESOME!

Dan
    That's good to know, i was not gonna buy it but know that i know this... hmmm?

YOu sure you not a rep or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN

Dan
    I downloaded the demo for XP and it doesn't seem to work in Cubase. I'm reseaching the problem but so far it doesn't work.

On the other hand I tried the demo version of Convo Boy and it works fine, sounds pretty good and the full version is only $19.95. It has slight latency but nothing compared to the latency of SIR.

I worked with ConvoBoy quite a time and it was very fine. Especially the EQ on the reverbed signal is fine.

But actually I hardly ever used in realtime.

What made me buy Pristine Space then was that I thought ConvoBoy could not deal with stereo reverb IRs. Actually I think now it could be done with some intelligent splitting of channels and routing, but you cannot avoid to start two instances.

Since I use heavy EQ processing on my tracks which currently eats up all my processor capacities I still have no chance to add a convolution reverb realtime. I have to do it in a second step.

The other point is - the more I worked with reverb the more I realized that you really need excellent IRs. I really liked some of the freebies half a year ago but realize now that they color the sound.

Altiverb - yes, somedays ... ;-)

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Go Back to forum