• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: For Clara

Share/Bookmark

For Clara

Hi all. The first section of this was written back in 1994 as a simple piano piece. A couple of years later my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and I developed it as a full orchestral arrangement and added the second section and dedicated it to her. I posted a string quartet version shortly after I bought GPO (it was my 1st GPO attempt.) I finally got around to doing a GPO version of the fully orchestrated version which is posted here. Again, appreciate any comments you have. Still trying to get the brass to sound the way I want it to.

At David's suggestion, I've also posted a link to the String Quartet version of this I orginally posted a year ago.

For Clara

For Clara (string quartet)

Thanks,

Clark

Re: For Clara

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkeo
    Hi all. The first section of this was written back in 1994 as a simple piano piece. A couple of years later my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and I developed it as a full orchestral arrangement and added the second section and dedicated it to her. I posted a string quartet version shortly after I bought GPO (it was my 1st GPO attempt.) I finally got around to doing a GPO version of the fully orchestrated version which is posted here. Again, appreciate any comments you have. Still trying to get the brass to sound the way I want it to.

For Clara

Thanks,

Clark
    This is one of the most beautiful compositions I have heard on this site and ever written. I especially love how you ended the first section on, I believe a third, am I correct a picardi third? I fealt the sadness and renching pain, but ending the section that way was like passing from earth to heaven faster than the speed of light. Brilliant work. I bow in humble submission to your genius.

for the composition and for the genius to end the section that way. Ten: I LOVE IT and ten: O MY GOD'S
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 01-06-2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSands
    This is one of the most beautiful compositions I have heard on this site and ever written. I especially love how you ended the first section on, I believe a third, am I correct a picardi third? I fealt the sadness and renching pain, but ending the section that way was like passing from earth to heaven faster than the speed of light. Brilliant work. I bow in humble submission to your genius.

for the composition and for the genius to end the section that way. Ten: I LOVE IT and ten: O MY GOD'S
    Thank you so much. I keep coming back to this piece trying to do it justice. Yes that is a picardi third to end the first section. The 1st time I did the orchestral version I only had "bad" synth imititations of real instruments. I've been intending to do a GPO version ever since I purchased it but just got around to it. I'm so glad you liked it.

Thanks,

Clark

This is a real good comp, Clark. I especially enjoyed the first part. Let us hear some more of your fine work.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I really like how you developed ideas. They were very melodic and made a lot of sense. Thanks for this song.
    -Jay

Thanks Larry, I'm glad you like it. I'm still not happy yet with the overall mix. It seems to lose a little clarity in a couple of spots. I'm still working to get a mix I'm happy with.

Thanks Jay, this one seemed to flow naturally when I was writing it.

Clark

Clark, I remember hearing the string quartet version of this;
    just about a year ago, in fact, if memory serves. I found
    the piece quite well written at the time, and my affection
    for it has not diminished in the interim.

I do like this richer, orchestrated version; but I find myself
    with the dilemma of having been equally impressed with
    the quartet!

Perhaps an interesting exercise would be to post both
    versions.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Clark, I remember hearing the string quartet version of this;
    just about a year ago, in fact, if memory serves. I found
    the piece quite well written at the time, and my affection
    for it has not diminished in the interim.

I do like this richer, orchestrated version; but I find myself
    with the dilemma of having been equally impressed with
    the quartet!

Perhaps an interesting exercise would be to post both
    versions.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you David. At your suggestion, I have added a link in my post to the string quartet version--it is as it was then as I have not updated it since.

Clark

Clark, what a nice thing to do in honor of your Mom.

My heart goes out to you through the sadness of this horrible disease, Alzheimer's.
    Nice job Clark!

Dan

Thank you Dan.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast