• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Guitar Duo Number Nine"

Share/Bookmark

"Guitar Duo Number Nine"

Y'all,

For your consideration, herewith is my "Guitar Duo Number Nine". I It is partially GPO.

Regards to all,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Guitar Duo Number Nine"

A delicate and restful interlude I listened to with
    pleasure, Larry.

The guitar writing in this quite well done, much
    appreciated.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks, Mr. Dave. Your feelings aren't universal, evidently.

Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry,

As a piece, this is very nice. As a guitarist, however, I must take some issue. Actually, I spent many years as a duo guitarist, so here goes: guitar one and two are too similar, and their rhythmic patterns the same. There needs to be more variety in the material they share. I like the way you use the stereo effect to have them pass material back and forth, but again, they seem like copies of each other, rather than two different players. This may be hard to grasp, but when you sit next to someone and find yourself playing what your duo partner just played, you just get a bit peeved. Again, I like the piece overall, just not the handling of the guitars. Sorry, but you got in my kitchen, as they say - I trust that honesty is still a good policy? Also, without a decent guitar sound - NOT YOUR FAULT - it's hard to make this work. I've written a lot of guitar music that I can't post here, because GPO has no guitar...

Sorry to be negative - but it's more the handling of the guitars, than it is the piece itself.

Ron

Thanks for your comments and thank you for listening.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

It sounds more like harpsicord than guitar.

Thumbs up Re: "Guitar Duo Number Nine"

Hi Larry,

I had the same thought about the harpsichord. Here's my idea why. I believe the harpsichord is essentially a plucked string instrument (forerunner to the piano) and as such had only one volume per key (similar to the velocity data in today's midi).

So ..... try changing the velocity of the notes a bit more with accents on the down beat and less on the upbeat and general movements in overall velocity.

I think it will make the guitar sound much more like it was plucked by a human.

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    It sounds more like harpsicord than guitar.
    At the time I wrote this, I didn't have a good sampled guitar.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by acousticmood
    Hi Larry,

I had the same thought about the harpsichord. Here's my idea why. I believe the harpsichord is essentially a plucked string instrument (forerunner to the piano) and as such had only one volume per key (similar to the velocity data in today's midi).

So ..... try changing the velocity of the notes a bit more with accents on the down beat and less on the upbeat and general movements in overall velocity.

I think it will make the guitar sound much more like it was plucked by a human.
    At the time I wrote this, I didn't have a good sampled guitar.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum