• Register
  • Help

Topic: Film Noir Trumpet

Share/Bookmark

Film Noir Trumpet

Just finished watching the black Dahlia movie and was inspired by the score. (Mark Isham I think) Can anybody recommend an expressive trumpet patch like this. I own Quantum leap Brass and EWQL Gold Pro XP but would love to find a trumpet that is as rich and expressive as the one I heard in the movie.

All the very best,

Darren

PS Please don't recommend a real trumpet player. I know that is the best choice.

PSS Didn't Thomas J have something he was going to sell a while back?
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Film Noir Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    Just finished watching the black Dahlia movie and was inspired by the score. (Mark Isham I think) Can anybody recommend an expressive trumpet patch like this. I own Quantum leap Brass and EWQL Gold Pro XP but would love to find a trumpet that is as rich and expressive as the one I heard in the movie.

All the very best,

Darren

PS Please don't recommend a real trumpet player. I know that is the best choice.

PSS Didn't Thomas J have something he was going to sell a while back?
    Have you thought about a real trumpet player? Ooops... lol

Project SAM has some pretty expressive trumpets, but not all that much more expressive than EW; I have both. Expressiveness, when doing a mock-up, really comes from YOU - not the samples themselves. It is your use of MIDI controller data - or lack thereof - that can make or break your peice. Are you very familiar with using MIDI controller data, or is this something new to you?

I can recommend you the VSL solo trumpet ( with his true legato feature ) , this trumpet is simply amazing .. in the Opus 1 package you have P and F legato ( without vibrato ) and F legato with vibrato, it's incredible, i love this trumpet. For now there isn't a trumpet as expressive as this one.

The only thing that lacks is mute legato ,you can probably find it in the Vienna Instruments package ( not opus 1 )

Arturia BRASS - it takes some practice (like SSV and the other really expressive sampled instruments) but it's worth it. You can get all of the really nice subtleties that are simply impossible with sampling.

Here's something I created with SSV in the first statement and BRASS trumpet in the second half of the cue. I particularly liked the way that BRASS handles the valve changes during legato playing, as well as the change in color during a half-valve pitch bend - uncanny.

Stranger in a Strange Land

You can also see the video spec cue in WMV9 and/or H.264 formats on my site.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Nice work, Houston.

I've always liked that film noir trumpet sound. The theme to "Chinatown" is a great example.

Here's one of my own attempts at the style. (Trumpet in 2nd half.)

http://www.richardemmet.com/Samples/Pensively.mp3

I used EWQLSO platinum.

Richard
    www.richardemmet.com

Hey Richard - it's a nice cue - but I don't think it really gets into the idiomatic trumpet playing that expected of an Isham-ish or Beal-ish trumpet solo. A lot of the bendy-twisty stuff that one would expect from an introspective horn line is the bane of most sample-based brass instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Hey Richard - it's a nice cue - but I don't think it really gets into the idiomatic trumpet playing that expected of an Isham-ish or Beal-ish trumpet solo. A lot of the bendy-twisty stuff that one would expect from an introspective horn line is the bane of most sample-based brass instruments.
    I agree with you. It's very hard to make sampled soloed instruments, other than percussion, sound convincing.

I checked the Arturia website and listened to the Brass demos. They left me with more questions than they answered. I get a little suspicious when demos are so thickly orchestrated that you can't really hear what's going on with the instrument you're listening for, in this case the trumpet. Was the actual sound of the trumpet, with all its expressive subtleties, being purposely obscured? It would be helpful if the company took a completely different approach to posting demos. I'd never make a purchasing decision based on what was presented on their website. If you can suggest other demos of their brass sounds I could listen to, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by remmet
    I agree with you. It's very hard to make sampled soloed instruments, other than percussion, sound convincing.

I checked the Arturia website and listened to the Brass demos. They left me with more questions than they answered. I get a little suspicious when demos are so thickly orchestrated that you can't really hear what's going on with the instrument you're listening for, in this case the trumpet. Was the actual sound of the trumpet, with all its expressive subtleties, being purposely obscured?
    I don't think so - I think it has to do more with the fact that they were trying to show how the trumpet can go places that sampling can't - but in a pop context. Unless you're Maynard Fergussen, you're not going to get an exposed horn part in a pop context. There's an interview with Christian Lafitte (the demo artist) on their site, which can shed some light on his approach and rationale. He does a lot of work for other vendors, so I don't think that what they put together was an accident. It seems to be valid for their goal, but I agree that it doesn't "speak" to what a classically-trained musician would want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by remmet
    It would be helpful if the company took a completely different approach to posting demos. I'd never make a purchasing decision based on what was presented on their website. If you can suggest other demos of their brass sounds I could listen to, I'd be interested in hearing them.
    I gave them the same feedback, but I think they're satisfied with the approach. Remember that the also have a large Virtual Analog synth market, so their thinking of how this can appeal to a pop-oriented crowd. One of the main reasons I put together "Stranger in a Strange Land" was to shed light on both the ProphetV and BRASS in a context that neither demo set has offered as of yet. It seems that they're fine with "Stranger" as a ProphetV demo, but were not interested in including it on the BRASS page for the section that used the trumpet. It's something that I'll talk to them about at this year's NAMM show. It will probably be up to me to put something together, but that will take time that I may or may not have.

By the way, the film mentioned--THE BLACK DAHLIA--has to be the all-time worst movie I've ever seen.

I agree, though--the score was nice.

Jerry

www.jerrypettit.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by JerryPettit
    By the way, the film mentioned--THE BLACK DAHLIA--has to be the all-time worst movie I've ever seen.

I agree, though--the score was nice.

Jerry

www.jerrypettit.com/blog
    Jerry,

Perhaps you should see the last three Star Wars movies...

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Go Back to forum