• Register
  • Help

Topic: Exotic Low end Instruments??

Share/Bookmark

Exotic Low end Instruments??

Hello,

I've been asked to explore exotic lower end bass instruments and wanted to hear if anyone has a suggestion that produces an original tone for me to explore. For instance, the subcontrabass saxophone, the serpant, the octabass, are great examples. Any others? The instruments should be playable (for example, an instrument that only exists in a museum and no one can play it won't work).

Any other interesting, exotic, low instruments that produce an intense and interesting sound that is also playable?

Thanks!
    Karim

Lightbulb Re: Exotic Low end Instruments??

Quote Originally Posted by karimelm
    Hello,

I've been asked to explore exotic lower end bass instruments and wanted to hear if anyone has a suggestion that produces an original tone for me to explore. For instance, the subcontrabass saxophone, the serpant, the octabass, are great examples. Any others? The instruments should be playable (for example, an instrument that only exists in a museum and no one can play it won't work).

Any other interesting, exotic, low instruments that produce an intense and interesting sound that is also playable?

Thanks!
    Karim
    Hi Karim,

I can think of a few off hand: the contrabass sarruophone, reed contrabass (contrabass a anche), ophicleide (which comes in alto [quinticlave], bass [ophicleide] and contrabass ["monster"] sizes), contrabass sax, tubax, contrabass and subcontrabass flutes, contrabass and subcontrabass recorders, the bass oboe and heckelphone, contraforte, contrabass trombone, and cimbasso. Of course, the flutes and recorders don't really produce an "intense" sound, but are still interesting. Less rare (but louder than flutes) are the contrabassoon and contrabass clarinet.

For "most intense" and interesting sound, I would probably pick the sarrusophone, reed contrabass, contrabass sax, tubax (either Eb or Bb), heckelphone, contraforte, and cimbasso. I have a website devoted to such instruments at http://www.contrabass.com, along with an email list for fellow fanatics.

Enjoy!

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Re: Exotic Low end Instruments??

Hi Karim,

I have a Leblanc contra-alto clarinet, which hardly anybody believes in until I actually show it to them. It sounds a fifth below a bass clarinet, therefore a fourth above a contrabass. However its tone is about what you would expect, so it may not be interesting enough for your purposes.

Another thought is the wonderful Large Hot Pipe Organ. There are various references to it on the web, but most of the originals seem to have gone off the air -- perhaps they blew themselves up?

Good luck,
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ward
    I have a Leblanc contra-alto clarinet, which hardly anybody believes in until I actually show it to them.
    I didn't think the contra-alto was that unusual. My high school in a small town in western Colorado had one. A member of a group I played with about 10 years ago had one.

Grant, Your contrabass site is awesome. I discovered it years ago. I still enjoy going back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GDG
    Hi Karim,

I can think of a few off hand: the contrabass sarruophone, reed contrabass (contrabass a anche), ophicleide (which comes in alto [quinticlave], bass [ophicleide] and contrabass ["monster"] sizes), contrabass sax, tubax, contrabass and subcontrabass flutes, contrabass and subcontrabass recorders, the bass oboe and heckelphone, contraforte, contrabass trombone, and cimbasso. Of course, the flutes and recorders don't really produce an "intense" sound, but are still interesting. Less rare (but louder than flutes) are the contrabassoon and contrabass clarinet.

For "most intense" and interesting sound, I would probably pick the sarrusophone, reed contrabass, contrabass sax, tubax (either Eb or Bb), heckelphone, contraforte, and cimbasso. I have a website devoted to such instruments at http://www.contrabass.com, along with an email list for fellow fanatics.

Enjoy!

Grant

Karim - looks like your research is done for you. What a cool site

Go Back to forum