• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help me simulate a Film Scoring Stage!

Share/Bookmark

Help me simulate a Film Scoring Stage!

ok...i'm working on a short movie...the director told me that maybe we will use only 4-5 real instruments....so it's time to use my libraries in the best way possible! I have:

Strings : Ewql Platinum xp pro
    Percussions: Ewql Platinum xp pro
    Brass: Project Sam Brass
    Woodwinds: Vsl Opus 1

Reverb: ALTIVERB 5

...my idea was to use only the close mics of every section and the put them in the scoring stage that comes with altiverb 5.......what do you think??? like this i would only have to place Vsl woodwinds behind strings and Sam's Brass too...Ewqlso Close mics are recorded i think in the normal seating position so no tweaks there rather than putting them in the scoring stage....
    does someone know how the mics are positioned in a scoring stage (i guess Close and Stage mics ...no sorround mics)? i'm a bit confused and i have to finish the score in 2 weeks !!!!! bye thank you

btw does anyone now if Sam Brass is recorded in the normal seating position or like vsl totally dry?

Re: Help me simulate a Film Scoring Stage!

Hi there,

Our ProjectSAM brass was recorded WITH ambience in a concert hall, but positioned center. The brass players were sitting in the middle of the concert stage with mics at close, stage and far distanes.

The percussion was recorded using the same setup, but was spreaded more over the stage.

About the scoring stage sound you're looking for - have you tried the scoring stage impulses in Altiverb, included the Berlin scoring stage you can download from their website. It is the impulse I currently use for all my orchestral productions.

Best,

Maarten
    Creative Director
    ProjectSAM
    Cinematic Sampling
    www.projectsam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten Spruijt
    Hi there,

Our ProjectSAM brass was recorded WITH ambience in a concert hall, but positioned center. The brass players were sitting in the middle of the concert stage with mics at close, stage and far distanes.

The percussion was recorded using the same setup, but was spreaded more over the stage.

About the scoring stage sound you're looking for - have you tried the scoring stage impulses in Altiverb, included the Berlin scoring stage you can download from their website. It is the impulse I currently use for all my orchestral productions.

Best,

Maarten
    thank you Maarten and congratulations for your AMAZING Brass library...so your telling me to use Berlin's Stage...ok i'll try that one...but which mic setup do i have to use (mono or stereo and 05m or 07m....?! do i have to add release tail? i have another question for you...it is best with your library to use the solo instruments or he Sections for playing let's say 3 different notes for a 3 trumpets section (3x3 = 9) ..thank you and sorry for all these question but i'm so ignorant!

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten Spruijt
    Hi there,

Best,

Maarten
    Hey Maarten - thanks for that info.

Out of curiousity, if I may ask, which mics were used? U87's? AKG 414's? etc...

Thanks!

Go Back to forum