• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audio Card Troubles... Any help would be appreciated.

Share/Bookmark

Audio Card Troubles... Any help would be appreciated.

I know this has been covered before but I'd like some fresh perspective on an audio card. I have been using an Echo Audio Mia card and it has preformed beautifully over the years. Nice latency, plays nice with Cubase etc. I wanted to up the ante and get a better quality card in the $500.00 range and decided on the EMU 1616M PCI. Lots of in and outs, preamps, phantom power and some nice software (proteus xe, etc). The problem is I can't get it to work right. Even with a complete reinstall of windows XP it has latency issues, hiccups and stutters. I have tried for a couple of weeks and have had little luck. My time is running out to return it so i thought it would be best to send it back and look at another card instead. I'd hate to be stuck with a $500 purchase that does not preform as well as the $99 MIA did.

So with all of that said, can anybody recommend a good substitue in this price range. Should I go with the Echo layla 3G seeing as i have a successful history with their products. I was also told that the Presonus FirePod was a goo card, although it requires a Firewire port which i would have to add to my computer.

My computer specs are: Intel Pentium 4 2.2 ghz, 2 gigs of ram, 3 hard drives.

Thanks for any help.

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Audio Card Troubles... Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Darren,

Although you're asking about a replacement, I thought I'd mention that I had similar problems--crackling and awful distortion--with my E-MU 1212M PCI. Downloading the latest drivers cleared things right up.

Hope this helps,

-- John

John,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the 1616M iPCI is a new product and ships with the latest drivers. It really freaks me out to send it back because it has all of the features I need. I'm just concerned about having to live with some rediculous latency or snap, crakle pops when I'm using it.

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Stephen,

Thanks for the feedback. last night I was giving it the "old college try" and Cubase was tanking all over the place. I started thinking i had other problems besides the audio card. Took out the EMU replaced it with the MIA, re-installed my Yamaha MIDI thingy and everything seems to be beautiful again. I am sending back the EMU and will most likely replace it with the Echo Layla 3G. It would be nice to actaully write some music with this stuff occasionally.

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Go Back to forum