• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Could you help me with a EWQL Gold mixing/mastering question?

Share/Bookmark

Please help with a EWQL Gold mixing/mastering question?

Hi all you beautiful talented people! Ok, well, the thing is this:

I have the EWQLSO Gold lib and just purchased the XP expansion set and after hearing the demos on the XP Pro page i just don't understand how those demos can sound so real and full with each instrument clearly being heard amongst the other surrounding instruments. I just don't get it. I mean i'm good at mixing/mastering (a quick example: www.wordsong.info/quick_sample.mp3), and i have quality equipment and understand a lot about mixing and mastering yet can't for the life of me understand how the creator of those demos made the instruments of that lib sound so 'seperated' from each other. Does anyone here know how he did it? I've been mixing/mastering for about 20 yrs now and know about seperating instruments so that they ALL come out in the mix but i just can't do it. For example, this (unfinished) work (http://www.wordsong.info/bible_songs...0-2_sample.mp3) sounds pretty good but no matter what i do i can't seem to achieve the separation the guy who did the XP Pro demos achieved.
    Do you guys know how this guy does it?! What's his secret? God they sound good!

Thanx for any guesses or real answers
    blessings to you all..

Timothy
    WordSong Entertainment
    Hear Bible text sung verse by verse, chapter by chapter,
    all with accompanying instruments in cinematic style.
    www.wordsong.info

Re: Please help with a EWQL Gold mixing/mastering question?

Have you tried the EW Forum? Anyways, it sounds like you added some reverb? It sounds like too much. Another possibility, I think in the other demo's, they turn the release trails down. Some people even turn them off completely and use altiverb instead.

Re: Could you help me with a EWQL Gold mixing/mastering question?

are you refering to the first example or the second having too much reverb - or even both?

hmmm..
    i never realized it could be something as simple as too much reverb. i'm just afraid if i take away too much
    reverb i won't have that 'cinematic concert hall' sound, ya know?! Maybe it's a matter of finding juuuuuust the
    right balance, eh?! Time to go tweak on it some.
    Thanx Rick!
    blessings..

Timothy
    WordSong Entertainment
    Hear Bible text sung verse by verse, chapter by chapter,
    all with accompanying instruments in cinematic style.
    www.wordsong.info

East west Gold is really well set up to blend each instrument in as if it were a real orchestra setting, hence why there is natural reverb on the samples. Sometimes its just about finding and using the right articulation, some of them have more hall and distant sounds to them, perfect for ambient and soft passages. Some of them are a little more upfront, better for more in your face sound. Between finding the right articulation, good velocity use and programming, and perhaps workign with the release trails, you will get the results you want. Gold XP is fantastic, and you can achieve excellent real results, but it is not a dry library per say, however there are some close mic inclusions as well.
    www.energiestudios.com

As an owner of EWQLSO I simply still not understand why there are so little complaints about the terrible release trails in the original Gold library! These were to be meant to "complete" the overall concert hall ambience, but I find them just so weird and incompatible to the samples they are attached to... Just check out the French Horns! Really disappointing!

The suggestion to turn them off and replace them with IR tails is IMHO a sad confirmation that either the editing was sloppy, or even that the concept of embedded ambience simply does not work.

Maybe the XP update is a lot better, I don't know, but I have not yet found good use for this library. I prefer less ambient samples, like VSL, ProjectSAM Stage, Dan Dean and Westgate and to add early reflections and ambience myself with good IRs.

Gold XP is much better with much more usuable articulations. Totally neccesary to make Gold work in my opinion. I have had great results with XP
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    The suggestion to turn them off and replace them with IR tails is IMHO a sad confirmation that either the editing was sloppy, or even that the concept of embedded ambience simply does not work.

Maybe the XP update is a lot better, I don't know, but I have not yet found good use for this library. I prefer less ambient samples, like VSL, ProjectSAM Stage, Dan Dean and Westgate and to add early reflections and ambience myself with good IRs.
    Peter is completely correct in this topic. I too prefer less ambient samples or if it's ambient done right like Sonic Implants or ProjectSAM.

Gold XP has new articulations, but the ambience and the bad release trails problems that Peter mentions above is still the exact same thing in Gold XP. Due to these problems I find myself using the library alone or only in limited genres of music.

It makes me wonder why lower budget releases of ProjectSam and PP can get the ambient sound right. The Prague team should release their own commercial sample library.

Thanks Stephen for this interesting info!

Pretty disappointing in my opinion... I guess this is a typical EW sales trick. Maybe these demo "confusions" are not supported by Nick Phoenix, whom I still regard as an excellent composer and dedicated producer (although I am quite disappointed by his own VOTA library...).

About the Prague library, from what I know from my friends Maarten and Thomas, the Prague library will never be released as a commercial lib. It's a personal project by Craig, Tob (I believe), TJ, Maarten and Simon Ravn

Thanks Stephen for this interesting info!

Pretty disappointing in my opinion... I guess this is a typical EW sales trick. Maybe these demo "confusions" are not supported by Nick Phoenix,
    Ask him on the EW Forum and see what happens. :-P

I had very little success trying to turn down or turn off release samples in the original gold.
    The result for me was a very abrupt ending to the notes in most all attempts.

If you have any success or find a technique that works please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Artdude
    are you refering to the first example or the second having too much reverb - or even both?

hmmm..
    i never realized it could be something as simple as too much reverb. i'm just afraid if i take away too much
    reverb i won't have that 'cinematic concert hall' sound, ya know?! Maybe it's a matter of finding juuuuuust the
    right balance, eh?! Time to go tweak on it some.
    Thanx Rick!
    blessings..

Timothy
    I was referring to the second example.

Go Back to forum