• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: GOFRILLER DEMO - Layaway Heart (Kowalski)

Share/Bookmark

GOFRILLER DEMO - Layaway Heart (Kowalski)

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't posted in so long. I've been having a few health issues, and took a break from the studio for a month or so.

Here is a little teaser of a quintet I've been writing for some time. This is one of those pieces I come back to now and then, and just work a little bit on it. It takes its title from a poem by my wife, poet Sass Brown, for whom I am writing this.

Layaway Heart (excerpt, 2:14)

Instrumentation: Piano, two harps, clarinet, and cello. Here, all are played by Garritan instruments. Originally I had one of the solo cellos from GPO, and it sounded pretty good, but I think the Gofriller takes it to a new level. It features some expressive lower register playing.

I hope you enjoy. As always, your comments are appreciated.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: GOFRILLER DEMO - Layaway Heart (Kowalski)

Jamie, I like it very much. I like the harmonic sense of suspence and the little rhythmic swing that is in there.

Roberto

You always know it's Kowalski.

Nice job on this, Jamie; I like the sense of slowly
    revolving -- and evolving -- that I draw from this;
    and the Kowalski touch of never wasting a note
    is clearly evident, as always. There's a lucidity
    and sense to this writing, an irresistible rhythmic flow
    that carries you, despite the exposed tenderness
    of its flanks.

The Gofriller sounds superb in this. That thing'll
    nearly fool you, and you handle it particularly well.

I hope your health has improved Jamie, and I look
    forward to hearing this one finished!

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I loved this music Jamie. !!!
    So tender and exquisite, I found it very moving.
    Lovely use of the Gofriller, it is so expressive in its lower range.

I am suitably teased and look forward to this works completion.

I hope you feel better now, it can be very tiresome when health matters interupt music making, but sometimes an enforced absence can give the soul a little time to refresh itself.

regards Joe

Jamie:

A very engaging piece and I love the instrumental arrangement. I've never imagined a quintet formed by this combination before.

Like all of your previous works, this one is just as enjoyable. Your talent for composition is very prevalent in all of your works, Jamie, and I hope that your mention of "health issues" doesn't interfere with the flow of your music in the future.

May you always be aware of our constant support for your musical endeavors and know that we are concerned about your health. I wish you a great 2007 for you and your music.

BRAVO

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I really enjoyed this! Very nice. I look forward to hearing more.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hey Jamie,
    Hope all is well... Very original instrument line up... I like the fact that you don't over use the harps... Cello lines were wonderful; exploring a wide range.. The piano is soothing yet hypnotic; carries you into a urban city scape type sound and rhythm with the clarinet... Hope you can finish this one soon...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    Jamie, I like it very much. I like the harmonic sense of suspence and the little rhythmic swing that is in there.
    Thank you, Roberto. I appreciate the comments. I feel the harmonies are very "old fashion" in this work, but it's what felt right at the time. Thanks for listening.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    You always know it's Kowalski.
    Darn! I can never fool you, David! And I've posted in so many different styles... you must have done well on those Music History needle-drop tests, if you were exposed to those.

Nice job on this, Jamie; I like the sense of slowly revolving -- and evolving -- that I draw from this; and the Kowalski touch of never wasting a note is clearly evident, as always. There's a lucidity and sense to this writing, an irresistible rhythmic flow that carries you, despite the exposed tenderness of its flanks.
    The evolving you hear in the first few minutes is supposed to represent the initial stages of my relationship with my wife, from first meeting her (mystery, curiosity) to an unfolding of facets of both her personality and the feelings I have of our marriage. To me, she has always been a little cascade of surprises, always a new one around the corner.

The Gofriller sounds superb in this. That thing'll nearly fool you, and you handle it particularly well.
    It's a pure joy for me, perhaps even more than the Strad. I can't wait to have the full string quartet to play with! It's very easy for me to get extremely picky with all the controllers since they are there. In a way, it makes me write much more slowly, as I start worrying about the minutest detail of bowing and articulation. I think (hope) my process will get quicker as I go along.
    I hope your health has improved Jamie, and I look forward to hearing this one finished!
    Thank you for your well wishes. I am doing ok... just usually very light on sleep. So if I say anything crazy, I'll blame it on that.
    - Jamie Kowalski

This captivated me from the opening few notes . I really hope it won't be too long before we can hear the rest of this.
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast