• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rose Parade

Share/Bookmark

Rose Parade

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Did anyone see the NAMM float in the Rose Parade today? It had a pretty cool design.

Re: Rose Parade

You should look into following the University of Arizona's Pride of Arizona marching band Ern...if you liked Michigan's musical choices. The U of A band is truly one of the best, most well respected college marching bands in the country among the music circles...but a lot of the general public does not know them as such simply because their football team has never risen to national prominence, thus allowing their marching band to share some of the national spotlight and attention. Yes...I was a member for many years...but they really are among the best in what college bands have to offer. See below.

Since under the direction of Prof. Jay C. Rees (1995-present), the band calls itself the "World's First Alternative Music Marching Band." It is a drum corps style marching band, which movies and visually interprets the music contstantly with the military glide step.

A couple years ago, they performed a show entirely of Led Zepplin music.

These shows are long, 15+ minutes of constant music and difficult marching. Their unique custom shows are very demanding of the performers and filled with artistic interpretation and symbolism. They really have taken the college marchine band idiom into the realm of being "artistic expression." But...since there is little time to perform their entire shows at football games...usually they only get to do bits and pieces of it at these venues for haltime crowds. They are fequently invited to perform their entire show at exhibition performances of drum corps and national high school band competitions such as the national Band of America competition (BOA).

There is a wikipedia entry which mentions some of the band history and also lists their recent shows under Prof. Rees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_of_arizona

You will find a lot of video on Youtube if you search for "Pride Of Arizona". Here is part one of their Zepplin show from 2005. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yTpKjvchfk

You can find part 2 and part 3 on there as well. Of course, when doing the whole show at a venue like Band Day competition in AZ...all the parts are done together continuously to make one long show.

As soon as the U of AZ football team makes it to the Rose Bowl (or another prominent Bowl game)...you will see the U of A band wowing audiences on national TV as well.

Enjoy!
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Talking Re: Rose Parade

Hi Brian!

Long time no see!

You guys might also get a kick out of the band I grew up seeing (when my dad was a professor at Rice University in Houston). The Marching Owl Band or the "MOB" .
    Funniest dang thing you ever saw. We'd always lose the football game, but always win halftime. With the addition of the Sheppard School of music at Rice, people began to take them ...err...seriously (but only as musicians).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_Owl_Band

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Wow, that really is fantastic, Brian! I don't think I've ever seen such intricate formations and movement. Great arrangements, too.

Ern
    I am glad you liked it Ern. You should see the 1999 The Who's TOMMY show. In part 2 "pinball Wizard", the band formed a live pinball machine during a drum break in the middle of the song. Kind of cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnpB4ducmUc Here it is. The sound is kind of crappy on it...maybe I can find one of my old videos that sound better and upload it to youtube. I was in the band that year afterall.

Happy New year.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Hi Brian!

Long time no see!

You guys might also get a kick out of the band I grew up seeing (when my dad was a professor at Rice University in Houston). The Marching Owl Band or the "MOB" .
    Funniest dang thing you ever saw. We'd always lose the football game, but always win halftime. With the addition of the Sheppard School of music at Rice, people began to take them ...err...seriously (but only as musicians).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_Owl_Band

Hey Brian,

Happy New Year!

The marching owl band reminds me a lot of the Stanford band. Very different indeed. Sounds like they all have a blast!
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Go Back to forum