• Register
  • Help

Topic: Once In Royal Davids City - New Mix

Share/Bookmark

Post Once In Royal Davids City - New Mix

Greetings to all,

I've posted a new mix of Once in Royal Davids City in the hopes that you all will take a listen and let me know what you think. Any advice or recommendations on how to improve the sound or comments on my arrangement would be greatly appreciated!

-Kevin

http://www.clangates.com/onceinroyal.mp3
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Once In Royal Davids City - New Mix

Kevin,

I love this arrangement! Great chord substitutions and instrumental choices. The modulations are well suited!

I really don't think I could offer improvements to the arrangement itself, since I like it so much. I could only give advice on renders and realism.

I would need to know your method of composing/rendering.

If you are looking to improve your realism and such, (which nearly every demo can improve on this), I could offer some tips. I am no expert, but know some things that help me in that area.

But - and this is important - if you are satisfied with the way everything sounds, and it matches what is in your head - then you are done, IMO!

But if there is something that you feel is lacking, could you articulate that a bit more so as to give us some ideas where you feel help is needed?

Great work!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

This is a superb arrangement, certainly, and I think the mix
    on this is doing it justice.

The opening brass is sonorous and rich; and the overall sound
    broad and satisfying.

Kevin, I'm going to make one comment, but I want you to
    be clear in understanding before I do that my hearing is
    not the greatest, and I could be wrong on this:

The one thing I might try on this is eq'ing a little of the
    highs off the strings and shooting for a little more smoothness
    in them if you can get it. In the context of this fine, flowing
    writing -- to me, now! -- they seem a little hard.

Excellent work on this, Kevin. To my ears, it gets a...

Bravo!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thumbs up Re: Once In Royal Davids City - New Mix

Thanks Jerry and David for your comments! I think I am about 80% satisfied with the sound I currently have, if I can get to 90% I'll be a happy camper.

I think David answered the question Jerry asked me. David described one of my issues with the sound better than I could have. They sound hard, almost harsh at times. I had not thought about trying to EQ the strings, I believe DPDan's tutorial had some suggestions so I'll take a look there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is all new territory for me.

I worked with the mod wheel and velocity a great deal to keep the highest violin notes from screeching, now that I think of it EQ could help out there also.

My main areas of concern were the following:

1) Overall reverb. I've been through so many permutations that I don't think I know what should sound right at this point! If the reverb sounds ok to you both then I will take that as a solid stamp of approval and not worry about it anymore.

2) The strings entering in after the French Horn section. Is it too abrupt? I go back and forth on it.

3) The final chord. Again, is it too abrupt? I am going for the big finish cutoff with little decrescendo. To my ears it is ok, but I would like to hear other opinions on it.

4) Overall balance between instruments. Are there any glaring balance problems?

5) This is my second piece and my first had smoothness issues also. David, you mentioned I should try to smooth out the strings and I agree. The question is, should I address this by adding legato where the strings articulate more or is this a velocity issue? I can hear what you are saying but I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks again for your comments. Please feel free to be as constructively critical as you like. You are not going to hurt my feelings! My goal is to improve on what I have done so far and I can't do that without being told what is wrong!

Last of all, I am glad to hear you like the arrangements. This is my second arrangement and I have zero training outside of being a piano and brass player. I'm just writing what I hear in my head and I get very nervous about the arrangement. Again, I don't mind criticism, it is the only way to know what is broken so I can fix it!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

LFO,

This is quite nice. The arrangement sounds well thought out. It is very countrapuntal in sections. I do hear what etLux is saying about the strings. The opening brass is wonderful and rich. Some of the string sections are a little strong (for lack of a better word). I wouldn't say harsh but maybe a little edgy compared to the opening brass statement. Overall, A very fine rendition of a this piece and well thought out in its arrangement. Thank for presenting it!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum