• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO + Cubase 4

Share/Bookmark

GPO + Cubase 4

I'm just curious to know whether anyone else is working with Cubase 4 yet and whether a VST3 update is a very long way off? I can't imagine that it's an easy rewrite, so it's likely to be a low priority ... but it would be nice.

In the interim, has anyone started creating tags for the GPO intruments to make them searchable within the new Cubase 4 SoundFrame database browser? It's an unenviable task, but if no-one else is underway, I might try to tackle a basic preset list ...

All the best to all for 2007

M

Re: GPO + Cubase 4

I'm using GPO in Cubase 4, but it never crossed my mind to put the presets in Sound Frame - most of my templates are already built and calling up GPO instruments in the player is a snap.

The version of VST that's supported by the player is basically under the control of Native Instruments, not Garritan. I have no idea what version of VST that the new Kontakt player supports, but since VST3 hasn't been officially released yet (scheduled for January 2007 - any minute now) I'd expect that that player will lag behind that release.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Hi Houston ... I think maybe I'm still coming to terms with the vernacular of C4 and am probably misusing the SoundFrame idea. I'm sure you're right in the way you've set up your instrument presets. I suppose what I am expecting is for NI to come in with an update once VST3 is released, though I won't be holding my breath. I've asked the question of a few different companies .... how long before they expect their VSTs and VSTis to be upgraded to VST3 ... and the reply is always polite, but I can see them gently rolling their eyes in disbelief at the impatience and audacity of such a request!!!

The new C4 database will take a long time to mature in the wider VST community I think. It's a v.v.good idea but is largely pointless (unless one only ever uses Steinberg plugins) without that wider participation.

But thank you for the response and the gentle prod in the direction of he instrument presets.

All the very best

Michael

One other question Houston ... How are you coping with C4s apparent failure to load all the Kontakt channels? I have the same problem with IK SampleTank. In the past one instance of the instrument would result in Cubase SX creating the correct number of output channels, according to the number set within the individual VSTi plugin ... this doesn't happen with C4. Is there a work around that you know of, or is it just a case of waiting for an update from Steinberg?

Cheers

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by shirrefs
    I've asked the question of a few different companies .... how long before they expect their VSTs and VSTis to be upgraded to VST3 ... and the reply is always polite, but I can see them gently rolling their eyes in disbelief at the impatience and audacity of such a request!!!

The new C4 database will take a long time to mature in the wider VST community I think. It's a v.v.good idea but is largely pointless (unless one only ever uses Steinberg plugins) without that wider participation.
    That always takes time - it seems that just now companies are publishing plugin updates that support VST 2.4, and it has been published for a while now. Hopefully the companies that still have yet to go beyond VST 2.2 will make the jump directly to VST3 when they do their updates for native 64-bit compatibility, but that somewhat depends on how well the VST3 SDK is received once it's officially published.

SoundFrame is a great concept - but has been a long time in coming. I think that VST3 and SoundFrame (and MediaBay) is a way of acknowledging that the VST2.x preset scheme was not the best solution. Hopefully it will be embraced quickly by other developers for the sake of the convenience and power that it offers. Only time will tell if companies will put in the effort to make it work - but with so many vendors setting up their own preset management schemes that involve categories and searching - I'd think that they would all *run* to this standardized method and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by shirrefs
    One other question Houston ... How are you coping with C4s apparent failure to load all the Kontakt channels? I have the same problem with IK SampleTank. In the past one instance of the instrument would result in Cubase SX creating the correct number of output channels, according to the number set within the individual VSTi plugin ... this doesn't happen with C4. Is there a work around that you know of, or is it just a case of waiting for an update from Steinberg?
    It's not a bug - it's a feature.

Seriously. It was introduced in order to allow users to control the number of channels in the mixer (separate from hiding the channels in the view). The default is to load only the first set of inputs, but you can activate as many as you need - on the fly. And of course those output settings are saved with the project. It's been a life-saver for me.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

You are a bloody marvel!!!!

You have no idea how much I have been trying to figure that out. I'm very very grateful.

And yes, it is a neat refinement ... I just can't understand why it was so hard to locate ... or even why they diden't seem to make it clear that this had even been implemented. I've actually read a few reviews that implied that even the reviewers thought that Steinberg had not accommodated multiple outputs. Bizarre.

All the best to you

Michael

My question is slightly off topic, but related, so forgive me if it should be posted as a new topic - I'm using GPO and Cubase 4, but on a Mac - or at least I wish I was....I recently upgraded from Cubase LE and now GPO doesn't come up as a VST instrument list.

I've been assuming that I need to wait for the Universal Binary port before I can use this particular combo of software. Am I right? Or should I be reinstalling GPO to see if that will make it come up?

Thanks!!

Go Back to forum