• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS 3.21 Patch Change Induced Latency

Share/Bookmark

Question GS 3.21 Patch Change Induced Latency

I just rebuilt my dedicated Giga PC and after I got the base version 3 install back in place I downloaded and installed the latest 3.21 update. Once I got the machine back on the network and talking to my DAW I noticed a new problem. When a patch change is sent to a particular port and channel, the voice does indeed change, but for a brief moment in time the subsequent note is delayed.

At first I thought it was just dropout, but then I queued up a section where, for example, I am switching from a legato violin to a pizz and you can actually hear the first pizz note coming in quite late. IT actually sounds like the "player" is trying to catch up. (By the way, the midi monitor timestamps on the GS side show everything happening in appropriate order.)

To try and alleviate the issue I took my test sequence and made sure the preceding note was ending a few ticks before the patch change, and that the patch change happened a few ticks before the subsequent note (I've seen overlap cause problems in the past). I also made sure I am using a dry voice (no reverb tails on GS that might be making trouble). And these things helped a little but the phenomenon is still there.

Maybe this has always been there and I am just sensitive to it today, but my recollection is that patch changes to GS are relatively instantaneous - certainly not obviously late.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Re: GS 3.21 Patch Change Induced Latency

Since I'm discovering some things, and in case anybody else ever looks at this thread, I'll report some findings.

I have been trying to isolate the problem, and so I tried using a hardware midi route instead of the MidiOverLan+ I have been using for years. The problem went away. I made this leap of thinking by looking more carefully at the GS midi monitor, where I noticed that the note-on timestamp following a patch change was delayed compared to other similar groupings. That told me it was likely not Gigastudio that was the problem... it was either the network Midi transport or Sonar. Using the hardware midi interface I have mostly eliminated Sonar, in similar fashion.

This points to the possibility that the older version of MOL+ I have is choking or the introduction of WinXP service pack 2 (and all the latest security patches) on the GS box caused this phenomenon to surface. I tried configuring MOL+ with fixed IP addresses but that didn't help. I wonder if the new MOLCP would be better... might try that soon.

Don't be shy if you can add any advice here

Talking Re: GS 3.21 Patch Change Induced Latency

So... how did it go Steve ?
    Huh? Um.... pretty good actually.
    Really? What happened ?
    Well, I'll tell you (he's going to sing... he's going to sing...)

Nope, Nope, Stop that !

Before I go off on Python stuff, turns out it was indeed the older version of MOL+ that was the culprit. I DL'd the current trial version and poof, problem solved. I have to admit it's a much nicer interface to boot.

Sorry to use up bandwidth here, but maybe it'll help some other sod that runs afoul of the same thing. This only showed up under quite tight timing situations.

Happy New Year.

Re: GS 3.21 Patch Change Induced Latency

Well done!!

I love a story with a happy ending...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Go Back to forum