• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Topic: Schuman: Symphony no 3, finale (excerpt)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Schuman: Symphony no 3, finale (excerpt)

    I thought this would make a nice demo of GPO ensemble building using woodwinds.
    This is the beginning of the Toccata movement, the finale of Schuman's 3rd symphony.

    using full GPO:
    piccolo
    4 individual flutes
    2 oboes (modern solo)
    1 english horn solo
    Eb clarinet
    3 individual clarinets
    bass clarinet solo
    3 individual bassoons
    contrabassoon

    4 individual french horns (KS.. though not really necessary)
    3 tenor trombones
    1 bass trombone
    snares
    timpani
    xylophone

    cellos KS

    the only tweaking I did was to adjust some of the volumes to bring out a few entrances.

    http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/schuman_3_4.mp3

    BTW, for those who don't know this wonderful piece, it's one of the great symphonies of the 20th century.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SAN ANTONIO, TX
    Posts
    1,386

    Re: Schuman: Symphony no 3, finale (excerpt)

    Hi Michel,
    I was confused about Schumann being a 20th century work,
    and even mre confused at the beginning. Then it hit me which Schumann
    you were talking about.
    Quite a good job.
    I thought the bass clarinet sounded more like a contra bass. It even seem to have some of the same sluggish response. How authentic can you get.
    Gary

  3. #3

    Re: Schuman: Symphony no 3, finale (excerpt)

    LOL
    well, someone once argued with me that Schuman hadn't written 10 symphonies...
    it took quite a bit of 'splaining to finally get the point across that there was a Bill Schuman as well as a Bob! (with one less "N")

    This toccata has always been one of my favourite symphonic movements. I'm very very fond of Schuman's symphonies, particularly the 3rd, 4th and 5th. I'm actually slowly working on creating a "clean" study score of the 5th (the Schirmer score available for purchase is just the most hideous, unreadable affair).

    Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    Hi Michel,
    I was confused about Schumann being a 20th century work,
    and even mre confused at the beginning. Then it hit me which Schumann
    you were talking about.
    Quite a good job.
    I thought the bass clarinet sounded more like a contra bass. It even seem to have some of the same sluggish response. How authentic can you get.
    Gary

  4. #4

    Re: Schuman: Symphony no 3, finale (excerpt)

    Superb job on this, Michel! And I'd
    agree that this is one of the finer
    20th Century symphonies, certainly.

    William Schuman had rather an
    interesting start into composition.
    Schuman, later a student of Roy Harris,
    started out writing popular music with
    fellows like Frank Loesser. And even
    in his later works, you can frequently
    hear the popular touch and jaunty,
    Jazz-drive inferences.

    Again, wonderful job on this -- not
    just good rendering; but a first-rate
    interpretation, as well.

    Thank you for bringing this to us; and
    I hope you will do more of Schuman's
    music. He's a 20th Century treasure,
    and heard far, far, far too little.

    My best,


    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  5. #5

    Re: Schuman: Symphony no 3, finale (excerpt)

    thank-you David.
    I've been working on an edition of Schuman's 5th symphony (Symphony for strings), but using Finale, the playback isn't all it could be just from the score. Once the score is finished I'll have to make a "performance file" for it to sound good.

    BTW, have you heard his 4th symphony? it starts with a very jazzy walking bass (solo pizz. contrabass)... a novel way to present thematic material for such a large-scale work.

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Superb job on this, Michel! And I'd
    agree that this is one of the finer
    20th Century symphonies, certainly.

    William Schuman had rather an
    interesting start into composition.
    Schuman, later a student of Roy Harris,
    started out writing popular music with
    fellows like Frank Loesser. And even
    in his later works, you can frequently
    hear the popular touch and jaunty,
    Jazz-drive inferences.

    Again, wonderful job on this -- not
    just good rendering; but a first-rate
    interpretation, as well.

    Thank you for bringing this to us; and
    I hope you will do more of Schuman's
    music. He's a 20th Century treasure,
    and heard far, far, far too little.

    My best,


    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  6. #6

    Re: Schuman: Symphony no 3, finale (excerpt)

    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    BTW, have you heard his 4th symphony? it starts with a very jazzy walking bass (solo pizz. contrabass)... a novel way to present thematic material for such a large-scale work.
    Yes, I have. I also read score on it somewhere along the way,
    though I don't currently have a copy.

    Only Schuman would pair up an English horn with a kettledrum...

    Schuman's easy integration of Jazz elements (the Fourth dates
    from the early 1940's, I believe) was perhaps reflective of a certain
    war-time egalitrianism that extended itself to musical form; and
    though not the first to do it, he was one of the best and subtlest
    at it, establishing a ready acceptance of the legitimacy of the
    idiom for composers who followed, including myself.

    Best,

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  7. #7

    Re: Schuman: Symphony no 3, finale (excerpt)

    Nice Job on this Michel.
    I had not heard this piece before, but I shall seek it out in the future.

    regards Joe

  8. #8

    Re: Schuman: Symphony no 3, finale (excerpt)

    What a missing "n" can surprise you! Marvellous work. In between the drilling my neighbour is doing (installing a new kitchen) I enjoyed this very much.

    Raymond

  9. #9

    Re: Schuman: Symphony no 3, finale (excerpt)

    LOL, that nasty little "N"!!!!

    He DID write some great music.

    To add yet more insult, I don't kow how many times I've had to argue with clerks in music stores while trying to find a particular recording of one of his pieces...
    "William Schuman"
    "You mean Robert, right?"
    "No, William... Schuman.... with one N"
    "Is he related to Robert?"
    "Not with one N he isn't!"

    And searching at the wrong end of the "schu" section as well... for some reason, music stores seem to have difficulty with the concept that Schuman comes before Schumann in an alphabetical listing.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    314

    Re: Schuman: Symphony no 3, finale (excerpt)

    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    4 individual flutes
    2 oboes (modern solo)
    Hi Michel,

    This is a great piece, and a great rendering.

    One small technical question. Do you mean that the flutes are each on their own channels, whereas the oboes are both on the same channel ?

    Best wishes,

    Jack

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •