• Register
  • Help

Topic: NEW Computer - HELP!

Share/Bookmark

NEW Computer - HELP!

So... My wife (the "Keeper of the Funds") has given me an okay yo purchase a new computer! Eureka! What a wonderful thing...

I was looking for help on a couple of ideas....

#1 What is more important for GPO, RAM or the processor? I think it will be RAM, but if I were to purchase a unit wuth 4 gigs of RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (2MB L2 Cache,1.86GHz,1066 FSB), would I be set for years come? Or do I need a faster processor?

#2 How hard is it to re-load GPO, JABB, GOS, and KONTAKT 2? I have them all registered on the one computer now, how do I move them to another?

#3 Will all this stuff work with Windows XP Media Center, or is the Home or Pro Version better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Tim
    Last edited by tcohen; 12-28-2006 at 04:56 PM. Reason: more questions!

Re: NEW Computer - HELP!

Hi Tim,

Glad the keeper has given you permission to get a new machine!

4 Gigs of RAM will get you a long way, but even with a dual core processor
    and 64 bits you probably want to get a 2.5 GHz or faster clock.

I just replaced the drive in my laptop and I replaced all the software you mention with the exception of GOS and I had no problems. Seems like NI has the registration process a lot more streamlined that it used to be. They allow you to get a second registration key directly from the registration site - nothing special to do here.

Watch out for Media Center as some audio card drivers will not work on media center. For example - I have an M-Audio card that does not have drivers that work on Media Center. Home version is great unless you need to log into a Windows Domain - You nees the pro version if you need to do that. Otherwise Home actually loads up a few less unnecessary services that you won't need for making music.

Hope this is useful to you.

Cheers,
    Kenny

Kenny,

Thanks so much for the advice. Yes it is very helpful and I'm probably making the purchase today!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Tim

Tim,

I'd recommend getting at least the E6600 Core 2 Duo as it has double the cache as well as being 2.4 GHz. This processor can be found for around $320.

You will need to reinstall all the apps and then apply all the updates. You can copy all the samples over though instead of reinstalling them. The NI Service Center is pretty quick to authorize the libraries. I just updated my system a week ago and it took just a few seconds to register. Now I need another sound card as my old Echo Darla 24 card seems to have died. It hasn't been used for about a year.

Jim

Thanks, yes the E6660 is probably the route I'm going - hopefully this will set me up for a while (I don't get the purse strings released like this very often )

Thanks for the input!

Tim

I've been wondering about RAM. Lots of people use 4 to 6 GB. I've been using 1.5GB, because that's what I had when I bought GPO -- and the only time I've run out was when I loaded 70 instruments -- 64 was OK. I believe you need a good deal more when you start using sophisticated ambience and reverb, however.

One thing seems to me to be obvious, if you're buying a new machine. You can always buy a few more GB of memory and have them installed later, but going to a faster processor is a whole nother ballpark.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Ambience and reverb usually use very little RAM. They need more processing power. I have 2 GB in my current machine which is fine with GPO. I can load a full orchestra template in this machine. The problem though is CPU usage. The only way to hear the complete orchestra is to freeze certain tracks such as harp, piano, celeste and timpani. I do plan on bumping up my new computer to 6 GB once the 2 GB memory chips come out by more manufacturers and drop in price. Also, I'm waiting for x64 PC versions of most of the programs to be able to use this memory.

Jim

Go Back to forum