• Register
  • Help

Topic: First experiences with the Strad - unfortunately...

Share/Bookmark

First experiences with the Strad - unfortunately...

Unfortuntely I've just spent FIVE hours trying to get the group-buy-bought Strad to give out any sound. I can tell you I've just been through a highly frustrating time. I've now finally got some sound out of it so I'm posting this in case anyone else is in the same position - ie trying out the Strad after opening it as a Christmas present and finding out it didn't work.

I was trying to use it as a VST within Cubase and try as I might I couldn't get it to give out any sound whatsoever. I tweaked and tweaked and tweaked, read and re-read the manual - nothing.

Then finally I went over to the Strad section on this forum.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...splay.php?f=66
    There's a Sticky posting from Giorgio which prompts you to download a different set of .dll files. Fortunately it worked.. Why oh why didin't I try that out before???

However, I'm still not out of the woods - there are no pink key-switch keys on the keyboard diagram on Kontakt.. Aargh!!! And I can't seem to access them from my physical keyboard either. And the Strad seems erratic; sometimes playing a key gives no sound.

Ah well, at least I've got somewhere. I'll go and have a stiff whisky and return later to try to sort out the key switch problem.
    I'm itching to make some music with this thing!!

In the meantime if anyone can offer help for the key-switch problem I'd be grateful.
    Thanks
    Jon

EDIT.... NB PLEASE READ THE FURTHER POSTINGS IN THIS THREAD, BECAUSE THIS STORY HAD A HAPPY ENDING AND I AM NOW MAKING LOVELY MUSIC WITH THIS STRAD!!!!

Re: First experiences with the Strad - unfortunately...

I don't see any pink keys either, but if you look at the diagram in the owner's manual, you can easily determine which keys you need to hit. For starters, you can try hitting C1, which might be a good starting point. Also, try pressing down further on your expression controller pedal. You ARE using an expression controller, correct?

[And... your controller keyboard is not being transposed btw, is it? That might be another thing to double-check if the expression controller doesn't help.]

Thanks, Seq, I'm feeling much better now - having got it to work much better. I was very frustrated at the time.

I'm working at it now and I will carry out your suggestions.
    Best
    Jon

Hi all, I'd like to report in that I now have the Strad up and running. When I sent in the above poting, I was very frustrated, so I apologise if it was rather negative !!!

OK I now have sound, after downloading Giorgio's new dll files (see sticky thread at the top of this forum).

The other problems have now been sorted - I'm accepting there are no pink key switch keys and will no doubt get used to it.

And yesterday I was perplexed as to why if you played a Key Switch key, the change in articulation did not immediately register in the text box in Kontact. (I thought nothing was happening). But on reading the manual this morning, the change in articulation actually happens whenever the NEXT Strad note is played. So I can work fine knowing that.

One other strange thing I thought was happening was that the audio seemed to cut off suddenly. I think I've found the answer - if you play a note which is below the range of the Strad (eg low F) but which isn't a KeySwitch key, then the audio cuts off and you have to insert another KS key to get the sound back. Am I correct?

One more point - I had a fantastic response from Giorgio Tommasini who was very keen to help and sent a PM straight away. This is amazing support!!!

Best
    Jon

Hi Jon,

That is correct, if you hit a note elow the range it does cut off the sound until you press a "valid" KS.

I had the same issue.

Cheers,
    Kenny

Go Back to forum