• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Topic: Multiple orchestral libraries

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Thumbs up Multiple orchestral libraries

    You know, it's been widely debated which sample lib is the best and all that but personally I like and find value in all of my libs. Sometimes I use a lot of EWQLSO Gold Pro Xp, sometimes the VSL samples from Kontakt 2, and more recently I've been really getting into the Miroslav Philarmonik lib. Great sounds that inspire great ideas. I'm just glad I have these various sounds to use. Sometimes switching libraries allows me to think differently about composing. I've had a boat load of ideas using the Philharmonik combi patches. Are they as realistic as EWQL or VSL? Probably not. But they inspire ideas and that's really what it's all about.

    I just ordered Garritan's Strad 2 to add to my virtual orchestra and I'm really jazzed (pun intended) about working on some upcoming projects using J&BB.

    Perhaps it's just the season but I'm thankful to be able to afford having and using all of the wonderful sounds.

    Seasons Greetings!

  2. #2

    Re: Multiple orchestral libraries

    Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    You know, it's been widely debated which sample lib is the best and all that but personally I like and find value in all of my libs. Sometimes I use a lot of EWQLSO Gold Pro Xp, sometimes the VSL samples from Kontakt 2, and more recently I've been really getting into the Miroslav Philarmonik lib. Great sounds that inspire great ideas. I'm just glad I have these various sounds to use. Sometimes switching libraries allows me to think differently about composing. I've had a boat load of ideas using the Philharmonik combi patches. Are they as realistic as EWQL or VSL? Probably not. But they inspire ideas and that's really what it's all about.

    I just ordered Garritan's Strad 2 to add to my virtual orchestra and I'm really jazzed (pun intended) about working on some upcoming projects using J&BB.

    Perhaps it's just the season but I'm thankful to be able to afford having and using all of the wonderful sounds.

    Seasons Greetings!

    i have ewqlso gold xp ..i just don't like it....i'm waiting for something cool in 2007

  3. #3

    Re: Multiple orchestral libraries

    Hello Davecos,
    I like what you have said. Each sound / instrument has it's own "life" and can be inspiring. It is not the ultimate, biggest, highest or what ever.

    Thanks for such a posting,

    regards,

    Hans Josef

  4. #4

    Re: Multiple orchestral libraries

    Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    i have ewqlso gold xp ..i just don't like it....i'm waiting for something cool in 2007
    Its too bad you can't transfer the license.

    jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

  5. #5

    Re: Multiple orchestral libraries

    Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    i have ewqlso gold xp ..i just don't like it....i'm waiting for something cool in 2007
    Could you expound on WHY you don't like it?

    I just bought the Gold Bundle. I had Silver and it's served me well for smaller projects. Now I want to create more large-scale orchestral scores.

    Please tell me I did not just waste, to me, a lot of money.

    Mike

  6. #6

    Re: Multiple orchestral libraries

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    Its too bad you can't transfer the license.

    jeffn1
    Amen to that.



    buzz

  7. #7

    Re: Multiple orchestral libraries

    Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    Could you expound on WHY you don't like it?

    I just bought the Gold Bundle. I had Silver and it's served me well for smaller projects. Now I want to create more large-scale orchestral scores.

    Please tell me I did not just waste, to me, a lot of money.

    Mike

    shure...the quality is good....realistic...but i don't like the fact that you don't have all the articulations for all instruments, the range of the instruments is not exact, you can't do a Divisi on strings, i don't like the QLegato (too much synhtetic)........the thing i like are the Percussions...very good...that's it...this is not a critic the EW but maybe it's time to improve the tecnology like audioimpressions maybe will do.....bye sorry 4 my english!

  8. #8

    Re: Multiple orchestral libraries

    Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    shure...the quality is good....realistic...but i don't like the fact that you don't have all the articulations for all instruments, the range of the instruments is not exact, you can't do a Divisi on strings, i don't like the QLegato (too much synhtetic)........the thing i like are the Percussions...very good...that's it...this is not a critic the EW but maybe it's time to improve the tecnology like audioimpressions maybe will do.....bye sorry 4 my english!
    Does anyone else feel this way?

    I was under the impression that it has a HUGE number of instruments and articulations. I have KHSO Emerald and I am still looking for better brass and percussion and added strings and woodwinds (although KHSO has WONDERFUL strings and brass). I like the sound of the demos I am hearing done with EWQLSO Gold with XP expansion.

    I guess I will use this new tool and see if I like it at that time. Either way, too late now. Money's been spent!

    Mike

  9. #9
    Moderator/Developer Brian2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Out of my Mind
    Posts
    1,858

    Re: Multiple orchestral libraries

    Speaking for myself, I agree with the original post which was about having a lot of great choices. Now, I’m no musical giant (I’m a drummer after all) , but I use EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP but also GPO. I use the Garritan Strad but also Kirk Hunter Solo Strings. I use Giovani but also EWSC.
    And I have often used them in the same project. I’m not going to win a Grammy or an Oscar anytime soon, but I sure have a lot of fun – and I do get gigs.

    …2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    284

    Re: Multiple orchestral libraries

    I find EW Gold XP to be a fantastic library. I still prefer my Sonivox, and Miroslav for the sound of the Strings. Seems a little easier to get a nice sound..

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •