• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 Weirdness

Share/Bookmark

GS3 Weirdness

I trying to help a friend solve his GS3 problem. Its kind of strange. He has a P4 3GHz PC w/ 2GB RAM, GIGABYTE LGA775MB, XP Home (sp2), 2 Raided drives, Echo Layla3G Sound Card, MidiSport 4x4. When he loads up a large performance (50% or more) things start acting bizarrly after just a short period of time where everything is fine. Notes will randomly cut themselves off, or a pitch will randomly jump to another pitch or sound, or sometimes the patch being played will only play as a mono patch. After a reboot, if he loads in a small perf (10% or so) everything is fine but if he continues to load sounds to 50% or more the problems act up again. Originally, when he got the system, he didnt realize that he had to convert his library to Gig 3 format. After the conversion some of his sounds weren't working at all so he has limited his sounds to the SI Strings (for 3.0) and the 1st VSL.

I am not sure if he has tried to reinstall Giga. Any other thoughts or ideas on where to chase this problem are greatly appreciated.

David Russell

Re: GS3 Weirdness

I had some similar problems when I was trying the different memory optimization settings. I found that the higher the memory setting (2, 3, 4), the more I could load but the more unstable the system was over a period of time. Do you know what optimzation settings he's using for memory?

Where are these settings?? I know where the settings for allocation to streaming/loading are. Are those the settings you are talking about???

Thanks,
    David

In your Gigastudio 3 Start Menu folder you will see an entry called Gigastudio Configuration Manager. Select that and then select the tab called TroubleShoot and then on that tab select System Memory Configuration. You will then see the options for memory management. The higher the number you select (2, 3, 4), the more memory you MAY be able to use but some people have found that you may also have a less stable operating environment. There are also other significant threads about memory management in this forum and others.

Thanks,

I am thinking this is a memory problem. I will have him set it to the lowest setting and reduce his max polyphony. Im wondering if he just doesnt have some bad RAM.

I had him remove each of his RAM chips (he has 2 1GB) and try them individually. They were both able to load in more than 80% with no problems or weirdness. That is as long as they were in Slot 1. If he put them into slot 3, there were problems. His MB has 4 slots, 1 & 3 are colored yellow & 2& 4 are colored red. His manual says to use the same colored slots to enable the Dual Channel Memory. He says that he has tried to put them into the 2 red slots but cannot get them to seat properly. Could his MB have a problem??/ How does Dual Channel affect GS3?

Thanks,
    David

Gs3 will definitely try and use the extra gb if its there. If you want to test the ram and cpu to rule out hardware issues, you might try the Prime95 utility that overclockers use. It's at:

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Go into options and run one of the torture tests. The oc'ers qualify a clock speed setting by running error free for 8 to 10 hours but for a stock memory test, a half hour will probably tell all.

Another one they're big on is cpu-z. It's at:

http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

Howard

sounds to me like you are trying to load an entire orchestra with some drum and bass and audio..(audio by itself is quite a load) do a whole complex composition...however..this requires pretty much state of the art hardware..eg..10000 rpm hard drives..dual processor motherboard with two p4's or 2 opterons or a fast core duo..check to make sure everything is plugged in on the motherboard..memory seated..all fans working..big eneough power supply..updated drivers and updated windows and updated software..do you have all your software properly configured? read the manuals on setup..sound card set up right...audio to audio right.ie 44 to 44 not 44 to 96..24 bit takes twice the computing power...midi to midi right..midi and audio files ok? midi file format correctly selected for file you are using..gm vs xg..sysex midi command getting thru?..try microsoft midimapper if nothing else works.. files dont always convert right....cpu getting too hot..check it in bios under power usually.. cpus and video cards can get hot 170 degrees and slow down also..same with hard drives..most likely your computer is ok..its just being asked for more computational power than its got..try 16 bit audio and 44 or 48 hz

Go Back to forum