• Register
  • Help

Topic: PianoTeq

Share/Bookmark

PianoTeq

Hi Everybody,

I just downloaded the PianoTeq Modeled Piano and have been playing for 15 minutes or so. I am really, really impressed.

I own Ivory and a small slew of other piano libraries and this just may be the best I've heard.

I can't recommend enough that you get to their site and try the demo.
    And no, I've nothing to do with this company.

Jim

Re: PianoTeq

Yes- almost-almost-unbelievable! There's something very subtle (but really good!) about the way individual notes react in realtime with other ones- and that, I think, is the key, if you'll pardon the pun. Test this by holding down a "silent" chord, and playing the same notes an octave above- like I say, unbelievable- harmonics in realtime!

I think there's some tweaking to be done to the program, but I honestly couldn't identify- or constructively criticise- where, apart from the "depressing the damper pedal" sounding a little strange to my ears.

Above all, it's a joy to play. And no- I don't work for the company either.

Try to switch from pianoteq to f.e. Ivory, then you realise that the sound is not really up to scratch... It is a fantastic product though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rons
    Try to switch from pianoteq to f.e. Ivory, then you realise that the sound is not really up to scratch... It is a fantastic product though.
    What does "f.e." stand for?

I have Ivory and prefer the sound of PianoTeq in the low end. There are some issues on the higher notes although fooling around with it some tends to solve many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by runamuck
    What does "f.e." stand for?

I have Ivory and prefer the sound of PianoTeq in the low end. There are some issues on the higher notes although fooling around with it some tends to solve many of them.
    I feel the other way around, I tend to like pianoteq in the mid to high registers, and not so much in the low end. Again this is not using the presets, but using the parameters provided by pianoteq in one of the earlier posts. IMO the tweaks sound a lot better than any of the presets. The problem I have with the pianoteq low end is the sustain tends to build up too long and does not sound natural.

This is just my theory: If I were to take a guess why pianoteq sounds different going from the low freq to high, this is how I would explain it. Since pianoteq is a math model and the sound it emits is based on mathamatical computation, it has to calculate every single parameter in its sound generating module. Since high frequencies have a short wavelength, they seem to sound better and in more control, whereas the low frequencies have long wavelengh and build up too much and less in control. Again, this is just my opinion on the behavior, so don't hold me to it. I am no rocket scientist.

But nevertheless, it is a brilliant step toward something that has never been attempted by anybody for piano. I waiting to see what their updates will sound like. Eventhough the sound is not yet in par with the bigger piano libraries, it is the most playable virtual piano I've every played.

Dd

Quote Originally Posted by ddarwin7
    The problem I have with the pianoteq low end is the sustain tends to build up too long and does not sound natural.
    Dd
    Yeah, I agree with you on the build-up issue; it's almost as if the sustain pedal is being held down. I hope they can sort that out. I'll buy it if they do.

But the tone on the low-end I just love. Sounds just like a Steinway to me.

Jim

Interesting - I don't have any real issues with the bass notes. I have mainly been playing the C1 sounds to date, and I think the bass notes are rich and powerful.

But, I think I have found something else which concerns me, and that is the sympathetic resonance modelling. Up until now, I have been assuming that Pianoteq accurately models the interaction between the strings, whatever the situation, but now, I'm not so sure. Try this:
    1. Increase the Sympathetic Resonance all the way to maximum.
    2. Hold down a chord very softly, so that no or very little sound is heard from those notes.
    3. Play a bass note - you should hear the chord ring quite loudly.
    4. Now play ALL the notes TOGETHER, but still play the notes from the original chord softly, and play the bass note normally. The chord no longer resonates, which leads me to believe that the sympathetic resonance is not being invoked for notes that are played together.
    5. Keep playing all the notes, but start playing the bass note slightly after the chord, slowly increasing this delay each time. Suddenly, when you have reached a certain delay time, you will again hear the sympathetic resonance.

Greg.

Go Back to forum